COVID-19 - Ancients Central - Caronavirus Posts Here!!!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clavdivs, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

It's most probably much much "easier" to obey police instructions there than it is here

Q

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Thank you for starting this thread, @Clavdivs !

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
    Beautiful frieze sculpture, @TIF ! I visited a supermarket the other day and witnessed similar scenes. I wanted to put together a few care packages in case someone were to reach out to us for help. They were completely out of bread so I went down the cracker aisle and was able to pick up several large boxes of Saltine crackers. Then I went down the “Cultural” aisle and found plenty of pita bread. Both of these items go great with peanut butter and jelly—which we have plenty of.

PBJC.jpg

:singing::singing::singing:

Stay safe and healthy, my friends!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  4. John KENT

John KENT Member

How do you think this affected the auction prices? It seems like the final hammered price would be lower if there are no active bidders.

5. Colonialjohn

Colonialjohn Active Member

Well living in NJ we were all taken back what has happened in Freehold, NJ (Central NJ) where the virus has HIT VERY HARD one family to the point of devastation. See here:

https://www.app.com/story/news/loca...d-19-four-children-fighting-lives/2872949001/

I take Humira for psoriasis and although it lowers my immune deficiency my dermatologist told me as long as I am virus-free there should be no issues not to continue using it. We are all in a semi-shutdown state with just necessity stores OPEN like Food, Medical, Post Office, Hardware, etc.. SO for me I am sheltered in - some restaurants to keep eceonomically alive cook your order - you drive up and someone places the bag in your trunk. I will go outside once a week to the Food Market but even some stores will bring the items outside. We all have heard how the virus has a dwell time on surfaces but being an ex-Safety Manager its all about risk factors now until a vaccine is developed in a year or so and other short term remedial measures are taken by medial practitioners and the local, state and federal government. For me I may? start to wear a face mask and protective gloves and hand sanitize my hands on leaving/coming back home. In my mind just the basics.

John Lorenzo
    Numismatist
    New Jersey, USA

Marsyas Mike and Deacon Ray like this.
  6. oldfinecollector

oldfinecollector Well-Known Member

First I think that Elsen auction done quite well on some great coins like Roman and not good at all on bad grading coins some unsold and nobody willing to buy them at starting price even lower as usual. I can’t say that the bids where lower as it is too early to know but the number of unsold coins where nearly the same as usually in their auction.

I bid low on 3 coins and no win.

Rather than thinking of bargain I think more about health crisis to protect my family, older people and myself so I stay home.

7. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Today I was reminded that people can be good to each other. I had to go to my local grocery store/pharmacy to organize a refill of my prescription med. (No not Toilet tissue.) I decided while I was there to buy a food item and went into line to pay for it. I ended up behind a guy who had a lot of groceries he was buying so initially I was a little annoyed at him for not letting me go ahead of him. However now I am glad he didn't. He bought a couple of Food Bank packs that our grocery store sells for $5. They include some basics such as canned tuna, Kraft dinner canned veggies and soup. I would not have thought much about but it got me to thinking that now and in the near future there will be a lot of people who will probably need some help. So I bought one as well. Vespasian Ae As RIC 730 Rv Spes advancing left 74 A.D. 8.71 grms 25 mm vespas5.JPG

8. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

If you can’t find bread, here’s my mother’s easy beer-bread recipe:

3 cups flour
    1 tbs. Baking Powder
    1 tsp. Salt
    1/3 cup sugar
    12oz. Beer
    1/2 stick (1/4 cup) melted butter for top of bread​
    1. Mix ingredients in large bowl. Add beer last.​
    2. Pour in greased bread pan. Bake 50 minutes at 375• (at elevation of 6500ft; adjust accordingly)​
    3. Remove from oven and pour melted butter on bread. Bake an additional 10 minutes​
    I recognize getting flour might be a challenge, but it is an alternative.
    And while I don’t have any coins with bread on them, this one with grain kinda fits (and will hopefully keep this post legal!)
    01-JU-Pontius Pilate-AE-PR-01.jpg
    Kingdom of Judea (under Roman Rule)
    Pontius Pilate as Prefect, r. 26-36 A.D.
    AE Prutah, 15.53mm x 1.8 grams
    Obv.: Three ears of grain, the outer two droop
    Rev.: Simpulum (a libation ladle)​

9. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

How are others dealing with mail? I have read that this virus can survive on paper/cardboard for up to 3 days. However - who really knows?

Currently with mail I have been laying it on some old newspaper.. opening the mail normally, putting any bills or documents that I need to keep into a drawer to be looked at many days later... disposing of what needs to go.. as well as the newspaper (being careful not to touch my face) and thoroughly washing my hands and wiping down surfaces.

I have 2 coins arriving Monday or Tuesday (according to the tracking). Very excited about these purchases but will have to keep calm and follow the same procedure. Will look at the coins but set them aside for a few days and photograph a little later.

Anyone else using similar handling methods.. or am I just way too paranoid? (ya.. probably me!)

Deacon Ray and Ryro like this.
  10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Some people have been putting each days mail in separate plastic containers for 4 days to be more sure. Just rotate them so you know how many days. Gloves are good if you have to rip into mail and handle contents right away and alcohol will not damage the coin if you rinse and air dry. Actually for most infection by mail or newspaper is very low. Most newspapers are wrapped by the newspapers machine ( mine is) so not touvhed by humans until someone removes it. IMO, Jim

Orfew and Clavdivs like this.
  11. Deacon Ray

Thank you for this excellent recipe, @FitzNigel ! I’m going to pass it on. We have everything but the beer but I’m sure the folks who I’m going to share this with have plenty :singing::joyful::hilarious:

FitzNigel likes this.
  12. Deacon Ray

You’re not too paranoid in fact I was thinking the same thing. I noticed that the USPS man who delivered my package the other day was wearing gloves.

Clavdivs likes this.
  13. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

I am personally living through a strange phase of my life. I am literally re-living my teenage years - this is just like the Great Depression and WWII all over again for me - but much more scary. I am now ninety years old and inflicted with Diabetes and diminished kidney function - my wife has only partial heart muscle function and chronic Cardiac disease. So we are now self quarantined in our home - trying not to become potential carriers of the virus to our family members and fellow citizens.

I never knew my maternal grandfather because he died of pneumonia during the “Spanish Flu” pandemic of 1919 (I was born in 1929). The present threats to our entire way of life are very real. In general, to my mind, the people of all countries are responding in the same way as the people of Britain (in my association) did during the perilous times of WWII - the way they are coming together and caring for each other is wonderful and inspiring. This is so reminiscent of Dunkirk to me. There will be hard times ahead for sure, but the great majority of people will survive.

14. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Please Jamesicus (and Ms Jamesicus) stay away from the mess around and keep safe at home, you both are potential victims.

Q

15. Ignoramus Maximus

Ignoramus Maximus Nomen non est omen.

Very evocative story, jamesicus.

Stay safe and I wish you and your wife the best of luck in these difficult times.

Roman Collector and Deacon Ray like this.
  16. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

It's an odd situation for me. I have severe ME, and I'm housebound with it pretty much permanently. I don't recall the last time I left the house for anything other than a medical appointment, and even then I end up exhausted and in bed for days afterwards.

As a result, the self isolation has had no impact on me whatsoever, but my wife is an NHS worker working in the community with some very vulnerable people, and so daily changes have a massive impact on her, and as my carer all the small difficulties stack up to make her job harder.

I am concerned about getting the virus because I am immuno compromised, and it can take me months to shake off a simple cold, so fingers crossed things turn out well.

I am mostly a little frustrated at being so unable to assist the many older folks who live locally.

Pellinore and Theodosius like this.
  17. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Best wishes and stay strong that you are doing what is best for all. As your mind seems find, use the time to something for the family. Such as write out the family and your history during those times for your loved ones, it will be valued for ever by them. Thanks for the post, Jim

Orfew and cmezner like this.
  18. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

For those who think this virus and the accompanying trouble came out of nowhere, the Washington Post yesterday carried an article about a simulation study by an outfit know as the Institute for the Future out of Palo Alto, Ca. some years back, that examined what might happen if a respiratory virus became a pandemic and what that would mean. The name of the simulation was Superstruct and we used it at our school to get students involved. As I recall it it's turning out pretty much as the simulation thought it might.

Pellinore likes this.
  19. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

400219831.png I am not sure if this is cryptocurrency. Perhaps Craptocurrency would be more appropriate.

20. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

I have a lot of co-workers in Michigan... this just came out:

----------
    All Michigan business and operations are ordered to temporarily suspend in-person operations that are not necessary to sustain or protect life.

Effective at 12:01 a.m. on March 24, for at least the next three weeks, individuals may only leave their homes and residences under very limited circumstance and must adhere to social distancing rules.

“In just 13 days, we’ve gone from 0 to over 1,000 COVID-19 cases,” Whitmer said in a press release. “This is an unprecedented crisis that requires all of us working together to protect our families and our communities. The most effective way we can slow down the virus is to stay home. I know this will be hard, but it will be temporary. If we all come together, get serious, and do our part by staying home, we can stay safe and save lives.”

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  21. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I am reading conflicting reports. Are coins being sent from Europe to the US at this time?
    I reached out to an auction house that I had won coins from 3 weeks ago and am not receiving a response. At first they said they were waiting for export license. Then they said the arts council is closed and couldn't ship at this time and didn't know when they could. I reached out again to ask if I could cancel and now they are not responding. I sent payment via my card. If they don't respond should I call my bank? What would you all do at this point?

Draft saved Draft deleted