COVID-19 - Ancients Central - Caronavirus Posts Here!!!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Clavdivs, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Thought I would start a thread that we could all use to provide any information around this global pandemic. In Canada all schools have been shut down - including Universities (for 3 weeks). I am sure this is the same in many parts of the USA and we know that Europe is fighting the good fight, and Asia has shown that perhaps the tide may turn.

Let us know how your country is doing! Let us know that you are OK.
    This seems to be escalating quickly - frequent posts are appreciated!

upload_2020-3-14_3-9-50.png

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Southeast Florida. Most of the new cases recently in the state have been here, and it continues to go up by the day. Schools were just shut down and are transitioning to online schooling. Mayor of Miami himself caught it. With the large population in this part of the state and the area being a major transit point, I am sure we have a lot more unreported/undiagnosed cases.

Here’s a guy that got a plague named after him. Plus it was made around the time said plague struck.

Justinian I, Byzantine Empire
    AE follis
    Obv: D N IVSTINI-ANVS P P AVG, pearl-diademed, draped, bust right
    Rev: Large M, cross above, cross to left, star to right, all within wreath
    Mint: Rome
    Mintmark: ROMA (in exergue)
    Date: 537-542 AD
    Ref: SB 293

[​IMG]

4. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

Germany had all schools shut down yesterday and neighboring countries are closing their borders. All public museums and theaters are closed, all clubs and most restaurants and shops will follow. Public life will probably terminate next week. This feels like a slow motion disaster movie.

Here is a young plague victim:

IMP CAE C VAL HOS MES QVINTVS AVG - Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Hostilian right
    SECVRITAS AVGG S C - Securitas standing facing, looking right, her legs crossed, placing right hand on head and resting left arm on column.
    14,69 gr / 28,37 mm
    Sestertius, Rome June-August 251
    RIC (Decius) 225; Hunter p. 254, 3 and plate 81; Cohen 60; Sear 9593

Bildschirmfoto 2019-02-14 um 13.05.00.jpg

5. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I the UK we seem to be reacting more slowly than other countries and it is unclear which strategy will work out for the best in the long run. We will look back and judge this in the days, weeks and months to come.

Severus Alexander denarius
    Obv:– IMP C M AVR SEV ALEXAND AVG, Laureate head right
    Rev:– VIRVS (sic) AVG, Virtus standing right, holding reversed spear and victory
    Minted in Antioch
    References:- RIC -, BMCRE -, RSC -

[​IMG]

6. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Montreal, Quebec. I'm impressed by humanity's stupidity when people are panicking. It's almost the WAR in supermarkets for toilet paper and water bottles. Please look at this video from a Costco store:
    https://www.lapresse.ca/covid-19/20...cune-penurie-de-nourriture-assure-legault.php

Here is a coin with Mars, the God of the war:
    3D695390-78AC-4C07-958B-1BA90CC70ACF.jpeg
    In conclusion, please be careful and take all sanitary measures to protect you and your families...
    2F1214BE-BB70-4307-B577-955B8D07CBE6.jpeg

7. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Please be careful with coin shipments from Northern Italy...

MilanoGianGaleazzoVisconti1395-1402bhz.jpg

8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

[​IMG]

Yesterday at the grocery store I saw two teenage girls pulling their shirts up over their noses like this. Not going to help, girls! :hilarious::hilarious:

I've got basics to last for at least a few weeks in case things get really bad. So glad I managed to move back to Texas before this mess! My mom really needs me (she's 87).

So far there are no diagnosed cases in my area but the number of cases in Texas is growing. Most schools have shut down and various planned events are canceled or postponed.

Here's creepy little Telesphorus, who looks like he might be carrying a plague rather than helping to cure one.

[​IMG]
    MOESIA INFERIOR. Marcianopolis. Elagabalus (218-222)
    AE 17, 2.5 gm
    Obv: AVT K M AVP ANTΩNINOC; laureate head right.
    Rev: MAPKIANOΠOΛITΩN; Telesphorus standing facing.
    Ref: Varbanov 1422

Since I can't decide which ancient deity to call upon, let's beseech them all with one god on a coin I haven't shown here before: Serapis-Asklepios-Poseidon-Ammon-Helios-Nilus-Zeus (Serapis Pantheos). Maybe a little Harpokrates thrown in for good measure-- the headdress looks like a cross between a modius (Serapis) and a hem hem crown (Harpokrates). This is one of the latest appearances of Serapis Pantheos on ancient coins.

PhilipTet-SerapisPantheos-RT.jpg
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Philip I
    Regnal year 4 (246/7 CE)
    BI tetradrachm; 22mm, 11.61 gmNGC Choice VF 5/5 - 3/5. Dated Regnal Year 4 (AD 246/7).
    Obv: A K M IOV ΦIΛΠΠOC ЄV CЄB; laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust of Philip I right
    Rev: bust of Serapis-Pantheos right; serpent-entwined trident behind, cornucopia before, L-Δ across upper fields
    Ref: Emmett 3510; Dattari 4916; RPC VIII unassigned, ID 2808
    ex Morris Collection (Phil Peck)

A couple more Serapis Pantheos examples:

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Antoninus Pius
    year 5, CE 141/2
    AE drachm, 20 gm
    Obv: Laureate draped bust of Antoninus Pius right
    Rev: Radiate and draped bust of Serapis-Pantheos (Serapis-Zeus-Ammon-Helios-Poseidon-Nilus) right, wearing calathus and horn of Ammon; trident and cornucopia behind; L-Є in right field
    Ref: Emmett 1676.5, R1

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Lucius Verus
    year 4, CE 163/4
    tetradrachm, 24 mm, 13.51 gm
    Obv: ΛAVPHΛI OVHPOCCEB; bareheaded, draped, and cuirassed bust left
    Rev: Radiate and draped bust of Serapis-Pantheos right, wearing calathus and horn of Ammon; trident behind shoulder; ∆/L in right field
    Ref: Emmett 2360 (4), R1; Köln 2148; Dattari (Savio) 9420; K&G 39.77

9. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Westchester County, NY - This is supposedly Ground Zero of the East Coast, US outbreak. Our school closed last week and will remain closed indefinitely. I'm trying to figure out how to teach hands-on science and engineering to 8-10-year-olds online when students don't have any of the equipment or materials at home that I have in the labs at school.

Yet things remain upbeat. I am happy to report that, as of yesterday, there has been no panic buying of beer. I was able to pick up a 6-pack of stout and a 6 of the delightful Brooklyn brown ale. Knowing that my local beverage store is well stocked is very reassuring in these troubled times.

[​IMG]
    Pupienus
    Augustus, A.D. 238
    Silver Denarius
    Rome mint, A.D. 238
    Obv: IMP C M CLOD PVPIENVS AVG
    Rev: P M TR P COS II P P - Felicitas, standing, facing left, holding caduceus and scepter.
    RIC 6
    19mm, 3.3g.

[​IMG]
    Victorinus
    Augustus A.D. 269-271
    Bronze Antoninianus
    Gallic Empire, unidentified southern mint
    Obv: IMP C VICTORINVS P F AVG
    Rev: SALVS AVG - Salus, standing left, with scepter and patera, feeding snake coiled around altar
    RIC 71, var.
    18x20mm, 2.3g

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

11. Gary R. Wilson

Gary R. Wilson ODERINT, DUM METUANT — CALIGULA

My wife and I (with our pup) live in a very small town in Texas. Of course we don't know if the virus will get here or not. Right now, everything is open, all schools and other activities. We have bought a couple of extra things though. The uncertainty is what fuels the actions of people so who knows what the future will bring here. Here's a coin with Salus, the goddess of safety and well-being (welfare, health and prosperity) of both the individual and the state.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-Puj4KSOLFkNmXJ-Maximinus_Thrax-removebg-preview.png

Maximinus I Thrax (Augustus)
    Coin: Brass Sestertius
    IMP MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG - Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    SALVS AVGVSTI - Salus seated left, feeding serpent rising from altar; SC in exergue.
    Exergue: SC

Mint: Rome (235-236 AD)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 19.85g / 30mm / 12h
    References:
    RIC IV 64
    Cohen 88
    Acquisition/Sale: rzeczplita eBay $0.00 05/19
    Notes: May 5, 19 - The Gary R. Wilson Collection.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  12. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

13. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

The outbreak of the epidemic occurred suddenly after an unprecedented economic collapse in my country (Lebanon). All schools and public offices among many other private and vital establishments including restaurants are closed. Even doctors' clinics are barely opened to receive critical conditions of any illness. People are afraid to shop at super markets which are fortunately still open. I saw a baker closing his shop early yesterday because he prefers to stick at home to avoid contacting the virus. The Internet remains the biggest resort, as far as remote working or remote teaching. Free delivery of food and meals remain active ( It seems less dangerous).
    Care and mutual assistance, along with national collaboration is a must. Sincere and faithful prayers could also work miracles. Already president Trump said it : " We need a Miracle". Let's Hope so. May God preserve all people on Earth.
    I chose a coin of Constantine where the Hand of God is offered to lift up and raise Humanity from this Epidemic of the Century. Hand ConsR.JPG

14. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Amazing engraver typo! Talk about prescient.

15. oldfinecollector

oldfinecollector Well-Known Member

Belgium famous numismatic dealer Elsen hold today an auction with no buyers in the room. They decide that 24 hours before accepting only in a rush only mail bids and paper bids just before the auction. They were accepting bids up to Friday 4 pm auction running this Saturday. Elsen don’t do online auctions.

Belgium government decided Thursday late night to forbid all meetings of any number of people and it was the only manner to do without cancelling the auction.

Stevearino and Limes like this.
  16. Only a Poor Old Man

Only a Poor Old Man Well-Known Member

The UK has been covered already, but the following pretty much describes how the situation is being handled :(

It is very encouraging to see the Italians singing songs on their balconies but somehow I don't think this will happen here... First of all we don't have balconies, but most importantly we lack the community spirit and cohesion the Italians have. Everybody keeps their distances and let's face it big UK cities are at big risk of rioting and antisocial behaviour when the shit will hit the fan... This worries me alot. :nailbiting:

17. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I've got this Chinese coin with bronze disease.

cashbd.jpg

18. Parthicus Maximus

Parthicus Maximus Well-Known Member

Here in the Netherlands we are slowly beginning to realize the consequences of the corona outbreak. On Monday our Prime Minister called to stop shaking hands and wash your hands with soap (We should already be doing that). More serious measures were taken on Thursday. Meetings with more than 100 people are prohibited, and everyone should work from home whenever possible. But the schools remain open, despite the fact that the opposition is not happy with that. People are also busy looting the supermarket here.
    Stricter measures are expected here soon.

Personally I don't notice much of the outbreak itself, but I do notice the measures.

Let's wish a lot of wisdom to those who need to fight this virus.
    [​IMG]

Domitian 81-96
    AR Denarius
    Struck 86 AD (second issue)
    IMP•CAES DOMIT AVG•GERM P M TR P V.
    laureate head right
    IMP•XII COS XII CENS•P•P•P•
    Minerva standing left, holding
    thunderbolt and spear, shield at her left side. (M3)
    3,34g/20mm
    Ric 439 (R)

dlhill132, TheRed, ominus1 and 12 others like this.
  19. oldfinecollector

oldfinecollector Well-Known Member

Belgium where I live is not far away from you and you know the very new strict measure here. This Saturday no rain but in city Center all is closed and nobody in the Center except some gosh walking. Last Saturday it was crowded even under the rain.

Limes and Alegandron like this.
  20. svessien

svessien Senior Member

It seems like a lot of people here don't consider this a problem. They are out and about, shopping at the mall, etc. I get a creepy feeling.

ThraceApolloniaPontika.JPG

21. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Well here in Northern California all the schools and universities have closed. Sporting events (March madness , baseball, high school BB championships have all been canceled). My eight year old nephew will be out of school for three weeks starting on Monday. Restaurants still open however. The store shelves are starting to look pretty bare - and good luck getting canned foods and TP, for some reason. I have been washing my hands whenever I leave the house and wash them again when I return. So far so good. I do hope the somewhat drastic measures taken slow down the penetration of the virus. And yet despite this, I'm still ordering coins and have two in the mail on the way to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted