Couple of Syrian Tetradrachms

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I've been continuing to limit my coin buying for the time being within California because of the USPS.

My latest additions are 2 Syrian Tetradrachms of Caracalla & Macrinus, not that I needed either in Tetradrachm form but these are scarcer types due to the busts & figures under the eagles.

[​IMG]
    Caracalla (198 - 217 A.D.)
    AR Tetradrachm
    Beroea, Cyrrhestica, Syria
    O: AVT K M AV ANTΩNЄINOC CЄB, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    R: ΔHMAPX EΞ YΠATOC Δ / B - E.
    Eagle standing facing, head and tail left, with wings spread, holding wreath in beak; between legs, bird facing between legs.
    13.38g
    27mm
    Prieur 884

[​IMG]
    Macrinus (217 -218 A.D.)
    AR Tetradrachm
    MESOPOTAMIA, Carrhae
    O: AVT K M ΟΠ CЄ MAKPINOC CЄ, laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
    R: ΔHMAPX ЄΞ VΠATOC, eagle standing facing on bull's head flanked by pellets, head right, with wings spread, holding wreath in beak.
    12.71g
    27mm
    Prieur 827; Bellinger 165

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Love that Caracalla!

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Beroea is a favorite with that cartoon bird between the BE. I have no idea if there is a meaning to the radiate crown on mine. 11.5g
    pm1380bb1044.jpg

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great coin, Doug.

6. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Mat, Your two coins make an interesting pair :D. Caracalla was murdered under the instigation of Macrinus on his way to Carrhae. He was killed by a member of his own personal body guard while relieving himself by the side of the road :p. A fitting end for this monster ;). I've got two coins of the same type that have been posted before, but will post again for your thread.

100_7071-1.jpg 100_7072-1.jpg Macrinus, Prieur 890.jpg Cyrrhestica, Beroea, Macrinus, AD 217-218, Billon Tetradrachm: 14.80 gm, 26 mm, 6 h. Prieur 890. Ex Harlan J Berk, June 5, 2009.

7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Both beat additions @Mat. I love that Caracalla!

8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

9. nicholasz219

nicholasz219 Well-Known Member

Very interesting. I don’t have the experience with tets that you do, so the bird and bull additions in the exergue (?) are very neat. @dougsmit That crown is so large! Never seen something like that on a tet. @Al Kowsky That Macrinus is so nice. No other words.

Draft saved Draft deleted