Couple of recent pickups

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by acanthite, May 21, 2010.

1. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

I was in Canada last week and stopped by a coin store to get the 125th anniversary of Confederation series. While there I picked up some other coins that more or less correspond to numismatic projects I am working on.

Mexico 1/2 reale, 1855-Mo, assayers G.F., KM#370.9. 16 mm diameter, 1.72g. This is meant to be a G.F. over G.C. according to Krause, but I don't see the overpunch.
    [​IMG]

Philippines under US adiminstration, 20 centavos, 1918-S, KM#170. The coin has a very nice yellow tone, which did not come through with my current lighting system for photos.
    [​IMG]

France, 5 francs, 1873-A (Paris mint), KM#820.1. Common date for the issue. This same design and diameter/weight/silver specification was used in the 1960's for a 10 francs piece. I like the bee reverse left of the A (detail picture below). It is the mint director's privy mark.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. snaz

snaz Registry fever

I love the first 1855! That's a killer coin Brad! AND, sounds like you left just in time... it's a snow storm all day so far. Middle of May.... I'm disapointed..

4. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

Wow, looked like summer when I was up. By the way, I'm sure the coin store I got these from is the one you mentioned as being a big mess. It about took the prize for messiness, which says a lot for a coin shop. Chatty owner, nice guy.

5. snaz

snaz Registry fever

I couldn't believe it when I went in. You had to turn sideways to weasel past the mound of junk in the middle of the store. I was stepping on coins and stamps trying to get to his display case. I wanted to sit on his stool and flop through a binder, but the stool was torn apart with springs sticking out.
    I cherry picked a few large cents from
    him though.

Draft saved Draft deleted