Couple of new Varhran II pickups

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by medoraman, Apr 11, 2019.

1. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

A couple more pieces like my avatar. I spent a few years looking for one of these "family portrait" coins in the past, now I think I am up to 8.

The first I would consider "low style" for these, which makes it very unusual. Usually this series is about the height of artistry for the Sassanid empire, so seeing a lower style version of the coin caught my eye. I noticed right away the giraffe neck on the queen, placement of "Prince 4" high up on the coin, and the serious wedgies the reverse attendants were being given. Not my choice if I were to only own one, but as an alternative style, I thought it was interesting.

PCW-S1555LG.jpg
    SASANIAN KINGS. Varahran (Bahram) II. 276-293 AD. AR Drachm (3.76 gm; 25 mm). Jugate busts of Vahram, wearing winged crown with korymbos, and his queen, wearing kolah with boar’s head, right, vis-a-vis bust of Prince 4, presenting wreath and wearing kolah with eagle’s head, left / Fire altar with ribbon; flanked by Bahram and his queen, holding ring. SNS type VII/5; Göbl type X/3; Paruck 158; Saeedi 168; Sunrise 789var. Nicely struck on a good metal. Choice aEF. Toned.

Second one was a rare piece. You can tell by the crescent shape on the pedestal on the reverse, and unusual shape of "offering" the attendants are throwing. one is definitively a Central Asian tamgha. I personally had not seen this type before. Definitely better style.

S042LG.jpg
    SASANIAN KINGS. Varahran II. AD. 276-293. Silver Drachm (3.58 gm; 29 mm). Jugate busts of Vahram, wearing winged crown with korymbos, and his queen, wearing kolah with boar’s head, right, vis-a-vis bust of Prince 4, wearing kolah with eagle’s head, left; monogram behind shoulder of Bahram / Fire altar; flanked by two attendants, the left wearing winged crown, the other wearing mural crown, both with korymbos. Crescent on the fire altar shaft. Sunrise 786 var. Well struck on a nice broad flan. Very rare variety. Choice EF. Lightly toned.

Feel free to post any examples you have, or other types you feel the need to own more than one of. :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Wow, what an interesting type. Congrats.

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Is the style of the first one so "off" that it would be considered unofficial? The busts are quite crude...

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

One would normally think that, but look at the list of attributions. It is a fairly well known coin. It sure does look funny compared to a good style mint product.

If it is an unofficial product, one would think contemporary counterfeit intended for local commerce since the weight is good. If so, I wonder who? The Kushans were mostly subdued in the East under the Kushanshahs. Maybe Kushans in Pakistan outside the control of Sassanian empire would be a candidate. The west was secured versus Rome, and the southwest never had a history of local Sassanid issues, so I imagine it would either be Kushans in India or a Sogdian issue, (though they got enough of these through the trade routes). The Huns had not arrived yet, so they would not be a suspect.

On the other hand, if you look at his coinage, you do see a wild variety of styles. On Tom Mallon's site, there are some reverses with the high pants, and some obverses with "giraffe necks". So could just be quality of celators at different mints.

Fair question.

John Anthony and ominus1 like this.
  6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

good thoughts, good words, good deeds...:)

Sardar likes this.
  7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice coin @medoraman ! The style variance is quite interesting, good pick-up.

8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Some beautiful examples, Chris. Would love one just as a whole.

Draft saved Draft deleted