Couple of Counter Marks

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 7Calbrey, Oct 27, 2016.

1. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Weighing respectively 11 g. and 13 g., these 2 bronzes have Zeus on the obverse along with a clear counter mark each. I believe the second one has also the face of a man or deity as C/M. Can you recognize any of the counter marks? Are they scarce. Thanks.. L O Z.png L R Z.JPG H O Z.png H R Z.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I'd guess Apollo for the countermarks. If these are the types of coins I'm remembering, there are some who argue for the c/m being Cleopatra VII. Try searching this forum and CNG's archives for "Cleopatra countermark" or "Cleopatra c/m".

7Calbrey likes this.
  4. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I purchased this from JA many months ago and it's a countermark of that Cleopatra also, but I still can't make out what it is...but not particularly rare. Perhaps, @John Anthony can elaborate a bit. It has a reference of Butcher 20, SNG Cop 80 cleo countermark.jpg

5. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

It's conjectural, but it makes a certain amount sense. Antioch was one of cities Antony gave Cleopatra as he was portioning out the Levant. The heads are feminine in character. Could they be Apollo? Maybe. Apollo is frequently portrayed with feminine features. Like so many things about ancient coins, nothing can be proved one way or another, and we have to be content with debating plausible and implausible theories. This one is plausible in my opinion.

7Calbrey, Mikey Zee and rrdenarius like this.
  6. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot. Can we at least determine the date or the period of this coin being struck, and under which ruler?

7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Well, all I can say is that the one I posted is :

Semi-Autonomous, Antioch ad Orontes (after 47 BC), presumably counter-marked under authority of Cleopatra.

7Calbrey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted