Couple of Ancients

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by LostDutchman, Jun 15, 2013.

1. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Hey gang!

As you guys know... I'm trying to teach myself Ancients... it's been a slow process... but I think i'm getting some of it...

I wanted to post a couple of coins I have with my general ID's and see how close I am.

First: This piece is 21mm and weighs 7 grams

I'm thinking it's Phoenicia, Ptolemais-Ake... The back is still throwing me... Lyre, Alter, Ram?? What is it?

IMG_0206.jpg IMG_0208.jpg

Second:

This coin measures 22mm and weighs 7.3 grams

It looks like one of the Ptolemys... Maybe Ptolemy III?

It also looks strange to me as it's not rounded or tapered like most of the Ptolemys I'm used to.

IMG_0210.jpg IMG_0212.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dionysos

Dionysos Well-Known Member

4. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Ptolemaic style coins can be tricky. Most people make the assumption you did in attributing by style. Always remember Ptolemaic Egypt invaded the levant, and spread its style wider than Egypt for a time. Many Seleucid issues look Ptolemaic as well.

Part of the learning curve man. You are attempting the hardest part, bronze greek.

6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i'm interested to know what that first one is also, got me stumped....that reverse. is it a temple with columns maybe?

7. Dionysos

Dionysos Well-Known Member

8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Batman scores again!! ... wow, you are absolutely "awesome" at ID-ing and then finding coin-examples ...

=> it is an absolute pleasure to coin with you my friend!!

:high5:

Draft saved Draft deleted