Couple Morgans. Do you think they would Cross?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bkozak33, Feb 17, 2013.

1. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

I was thinking of sending these in to NGC. Do think they would crossover same grade?

First is a ANA graded 1881 s ms 64.

DSC01629.jpg DSC01631.jpg DSC01637.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Second is Anacs ms65 grade
    DSC01632.jpg DSC01634.jpg

if not I will just throw them on ebay. I just dont like those little slabs

4. coinsarefun

coinsarefun Junior Member

Nice Morgans, in my opinion I would keep them in the existing older slabs. Both the old ANA and ANACS slabs are liked and while not commanding a premium they will fetch the same amount of money as a slabbed NGC coin will.

I personally like the old ANACS slabs:)

5. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

I got an 1885 O Morgan. I'll have to upload pics of it. I can't determine if it's been cleaned, I would say at best lightly polished. There's this haze all over both sides of the coin, but you can see a bit beneath it, its oriiganl luster. It' appears to be frosty, or was, but looks awful with this haze on it. The face of liberty has brown marks, or toning of some sort. Upon close examination, it appears maybe someone had something laid across Liberty's face, all I know is it's looks awful. Not to sound gross but it looks like a huge poop smear across her face extending out to the edge of the coin. Plus there is chatter across her face that makes it look like she's growing sideburns, LOL. The Queen sneaked herself in there.. woops.

IMG_1759.jpg IMG_1760.jpg IMG_1765.jpg IMG_1766.jpg

Attached Files:

6. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I don't think they would cross. The 1881-S has a bunch of bag marks on the obverse in focal areas to be a 64 and the 1887 has a big fingerprint on the obverse that would prevent it from being a 65 IMHO. I would keep them as is.

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Save your money.

8. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

THey probably won't cross. Save them in the ANACS holder. They are nice coins, and should stay there, as ANA and ANACS holders, or sell them.

9. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Even if they crossed you are looking at spending a substantial precentage of their value just to get them in other holders. That really doesn't make much financial sense.

10. Mark Feld

Mark Feld Rare coin dealer

I wholeheartedly agree, as I usually do with Tom.

Draft saved Draft deleted