couple more stars rescued

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by joshuacoinington, Oct 7, 2015.

1. joshuacoinington

joshuacoinington glade rd

They ain't pretty but I keep them all! 20151005_230103.jpg 20151005_230144.jpg

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

The 2nd isn't a star

even upside down

4. joshuacoinington

Whoops that's a radar note wrong pick I keep all of those to

5. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Nice. Hang onto them for now; you may want to use them for trades for ?? :)

6. joshuacoinington

Here

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Nice one! Looks better like this ---It's more of a bookend than a Radar
    20151005_230144.jpg

Endeavor and joshuacoinington like this.
  8. joshuacoinington

Nice image,

9. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

I have never heard of bookend serial numbers. Do they carry a premium?

10. joshuacoinington

ive never heard it either it's a radar note the same four numbers different order

11. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, and hopefully others will correct me if I am, but I'm under the impression that in order for a serial number to be a radar note it has to have the other half's order in exact reverse order of the first half. Kind of like how radio waves (radar is a word derived from the acroynm radio detection and ranging) travel in one direction, hit an object, and then retrace back to the point of origin in the exact reverse direction. The term palindrome is used to describe words or sequence of numbers that are the same forward as they backwards. Incidentally, radar (r-a-d-a-r) is a palindrome.

You would need one of the 94's to be "49" for it to be radar.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  12. techwriter

Well let's see:

94844894 backwards is 49844849 = not radar
    94844849 backwards is 94844849 = yes radar

phankins11 likes this.
  13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I save star notes like that. After many years they may have more value than face.

14. techwriter

And Star notes that are radar notes have a premium also. Just ask me. :rolleyes:

15. Bucephalus

Bucephalus Active Member

Unlikely. They either need to be in Unc/AU/XF+ condition, contain an error or be very very rare. Otherwise, once they have too many folds, lose their crispness, the ink is damaged, or there are tears, stains or graffiti the value drops to face value (or less. lol, I've offered 18$ for a crappy 20$ note before. He didn't think it was funny).

Holding on to a lot of low quality stars is a bad investment. Money devalues every year, so its face value today is worth more (more buying power) then it will on a far off date. For example: 500$ notes are not worth that much. Putting that 500$ into the stock market or in Bonds back in the '30s or '40s would have yielded 10s of thousands of dollars by today. While in contrast, the same 500$ note kept safe for all these years would be only worth only 500$-800$ today, gaining no or little value over face yet losing a substantial amount of its buying power. There are a few exceptions adding a premium to them, but on a whole they're a bad buy.

The same goes with common low quality stars. There will never be a time when they'll be worth a premium.

16. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Did someone say Star-Radar ?

[​IMG]

techwriter and Bucephalus like this.
  17. Bucephalus

Bucephalus Active Member

Nice one Steve. Shame about the portrait ink damage and the bent corner, but still nice and crisp otherwise. I like those zeros on the ends too, always felt they make some of the prettiest radars.

Draft saved Draft deleted