Couple coins from my childhood & college collections

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dima, May 17, 2024.

1. Dima

Dima Member

I've been collecting on and off for ~30 years and during that time as my budget and interests evolved, so too did my collection. I tend to categorize it into three buckets: my childhood collection (consisting of mostly 2x2s pulled from circulation and LCS); my college collection (consisting of mostly lower end PCGS); and my current collection. I tend to highlight and share pictures only from the latter as I wrapped my 20th century type sets (non-gold and gold) and am working on my toned Franklin set and my classic commemoratives set.

However, I rarely pull back the curtain to show off some of my exceptionally cool, older stuff.

Toward the tail end of of '22, I had a few PCGS grading vouchers remaining and instead of letting them go to waste, explored my childhood collection for a few nicer pieces to submit. These hold a very special place in my collection. They may not be ultra rare or overly expensive, but their sentimentality is unparalleled.

upload_2024-5-17_13-27-37.jpeg
    1858; Large letters; VG details; environmental damage

upload_2024-5-17_13-28-9.jpeg
    1909 VDB; AU58BN

upload_2024-5-17_13-29-8.jpeg
    1957; PR66

upload_2024-5-17_13-28-36.jpeg
    1893; AU55

And then I remembered one of my favorite random impulse buys from college:
    upload_2024-5-17_13-30-37.jpeg
    1853; XF40BN; Newcomb 30 (Originally, label didn't include variety. Few years ago, when PCGS had variety attribution special, I'd resubmitted for variety attribution.)

Thanks for looking :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Very cool. I too have most of my "kid coins".... Always a reminder of the coin crazed kid that I was and still am.

Inspector43 and Dima like this.
  4. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The main “kid coins” I left are gold. I formed an eight piece gold type set when I was in high school. I still have four of those coins. The best one is a 1901 $10 gold piece that NGC graded MS-65. It’s really an MS-64, but “grade-flation” is making that number look more credible.

5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Nice coins there! This is my childhood coin all the way from across the pond.
    1937 florin-obv-tile.jpg

Dima likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted