Couple additions (not a fel temp...)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by randygeki, May 17, 2017.

1. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I got these coins (and one other) today from another CTer. Not my usual FTR posts of late.
    The first is a drachm and is a much needed upgrade from my ae.
    IMG_2662.JPG
    Septimius Severus AR Drachm of Caesaria, Cappadocia. Struck year 2 (=194/5 AD). AV L CEP CEOVHPOC, laureate head right / MHTPO KAICAP, ET B in exergue, agalma of Mt. Argaeus surmounted by six-pointed star.

Caesarea
    Syd 387a

The other is a nice ae denarius of Caracalla.
    IMG_2682.JPG
    Caracalla AD 198-217. Bronze (AR; 18-19mm; 3.40g; 12h) . ANTONINVS PIVS – AVG BRIT Laureate head of Caracalla to right. Rev. INDVLG FECVNDAE Indulgentia, veilded, towered, draped, seated left on curule chair, extending right hand and holding secptre, pointing upwards to right, in left.

cf. BMCRE V p. 370, 74 and pl. 55.3; cf. C. 104.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Congrats geki => both of 'em have great eye appeal (rugged looks)

randygeki likes this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Love the Caesaria drachm.
    Septimius Severus 17.jpg

5. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

nice additions( i misread that to say addictions><) i do love those mtn. reverses

randygeki likes this.
  6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice additions. Always a fan of Mt. Argaeus reverses too.

randygeki likes this.
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I believe year two would be 193-194. I do not know on what date Caesarea reckoned the start of a new year. Alexandria used August 29. Year one would, then, be from the date the ruler came to power until that date when it would become year two. Septimius may have been using January 1 as his date honoring his position as legal heir of Pertinax who did become emperor on that date. There are no Year One coins of Septimius from Caesarea to the best of my knowledge because Pescennius controlled the city then. There are several year two varieties including the Nike ones with the odd ET R date which we take to be a variation on ET B (Greeks had trouble swapping B and R on other coins of this period). Your coin also comes in AE with an altar supporting the mountain.
    pi0900bb1264.jpg pi0950b01391lg.jpg

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The Caracalla is one of my favorite types since the INDVLG FECVNDAE makes you ask what the fertile one is being indulgent about. Let's see, the BRIT coins are early in his sole reign and what might the young emperor have done that would require the indulgence of his mother? Kill your brother? Probably not but sometimes politicians need to be careful not to make public statements that people 1800 years later will interpret incorrectly. After all, Geta had it coming to him so there would be no reason to ask mom's forgiveness. Right?
    rm6710bb0127.jpg

9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

no fel temps? who are you? and what have you done with randy?!
    :wacky:

that's a great bust on that caracalla, he almost looks ...well, not angry?

...and i always dig a mt. argaeus!

[​IMG]
    (elagabalus)

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thanks all :) and and great coins. Thanks for the correction on the year Doug, I changed it in gallery.

Here is my other coin from Caesarea, of Severus Alexander :/

sev.jpg

So I'm a little confused, is this Indulgentia on the reverse, or Julia Domna?
    .... and Geta started it so yeah, he had it coming :D:D

Oh I got some, I'm just waiting to post them :D

feltemp.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

:woot::woot::woot:

randygeki likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted