Coupla Franklin Proofs, 1956 and 1963

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by GenX Enthusiast, Feb 1, 2019.

1. GenX Enthusiast

GenX Enthusiast Forensic grammatician

Hi guys, these are difficult images to judge from, but I don't have the coins in hand yet. Love your opinion on possible grades and "worth". If I did Ok-ish, I'll tell you what I paid;)
    Don't miss this chance to school a newbie!
    s-l500.jpg
    s-l500 (2).jpg s-l500 (1).jpg
    s-l500 (3).jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GenX Enthusiast

Well, guess the photos don't inspire... definitely having second thoughts about the 56', but didn't pay very much for my first decent Franklin cameos, so not worried. The whole grading thing keeps me from buying coins I find otherwise very tempting, blech.

4. GenX Enthusiast

Here's a little 55' to 63' Franklin Proof video update... all raw coins taken from sets with the exception of the above two.

5. toned_morgan

toned_morgan Toning Lover

I agree with you that they are extremely clean and practically spotless. I'm not good at catching the difference between cameo and deep cameo, so I'll just tell you what I think grade-wise. The 1963 has not a single scratch not dent or anything, which rules it out of the MS61-65 range. To be honest, I think it looks MS67. I compared it with pcgscoinfacts.com, and it looks pretty much there. The high areas such as the hair that curves around his ear and the script on the bell are slightly worn, but the detail still remains. The 1956 though has obvious wear near his ear and around the script on the bell, so it wouldn't e higher than MS64. I hope I helped a bit more than the others!

GenX Enthusiast likes this.
  6. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I missed your thread the first time around... sorry 'bout that. ;-)

Not a big Franklin fan, but I absolutely *love* your pics of the '63!
    This is probably the 1st Franklin half I've ever seen that I would want to own.

Is that white dot above the date a piece of dust or actually something on the coin?

I'm no expert, but yeah, what @toned_morgan said on the grades sounds good. Depending on where you would send them to be graded, I believe that either NGC or PCGS would add "Cameo", "PL", or even "DMPL" to the designation.

I'd be interested to see how much reflectivity is shown in your '63 (you know, taking a picture with some text or a ruler showing in the reflection of the coin).

GenX Enthusiast likes this.
  7. GenX Enthusiast

Hey, thank you guys for your feedback! I'm very glad you see some potential with the 63';) I'll take photos of reflectivity and see how we do. It looks like there's not a whole lotta value even in PR67 CAM, but there's always pride;)

Draft saved Draft deleted