Counting fold on most of the 1990's German banknotes?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Baanos, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Baanos

Baanos Banknote collector

Hello, I bought a 1991 5 Mark note from Germany(P-37) from a seller on eBay. Seller claims it is uncirculated. Upon receiving the note, I notice two distinct signs of damage, one significantly worse than the other. Here are some pictures:
    DSC00297.JPG DSC00298.JPG
    I then contact the seller telling him that there is some damage on the note and that I would like a partial refund for it(I mean, am I right to expect such information in the listing's description? Moreover you can't see the damage on the listing's picture). He replies saying that the "damage" I am referring to is a
    Now, if that is correct, then I expect to see this fold on the majority of the 5 Deutsche Mark notes, if not all, and even on notes of other denominations and possibly of earlier years. Can anyone who has seen or has in his possession this note or similar notes please confirm this ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I've never heard of a counting fold in the center of the note like that. It smells fishy to me... Aside from where this fold came from, I would grade the note AU. Here are the two relevant definitions of the IBNS grading standards that are used for grading everything outside USA:

UNCIRCULATED (UNC): A perfectly preserved note, never mishandled by the issuing authority, a bank teller, the public or a collector. Paper is clean and firm, without discoloration. Corners are sharp and square, without any evidence of rounding. (Rounded corners are often telltale sign of a cleaned or “doctored” note.) An uncirculated note will have its original natural sheen.

NOTE: Some note issues are most often available with slight evidence of counting folds (creases). Also, French-printed notes usually have a sight ripple in the paper. Many collectors and dealers often refer to such a note as AU-UNC.

ABOUT UNCIRCULATED (aUNC or AU): A virtually perfect note, with some minor handling. May show evidence of bank counting folds at a corner or one light fold through the center, but not both. An AU note cannot be creased, a crease being a hard fold which has usually “broken” the surface of a note. Paper is clean and bright with original sheen. Corners are not rounded.

NOTE: Europeans will refer to an About Uncirculated or AU note as “EF-UNC” or as just “EF”. The extremely fine note described below will often be referred to as “GVF” or “Good Very Fine”.

Dave

Draft saved Draft deleted