Counterstamped Seated Liberty Quarter

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mill rat41, Mar 10, 2012.

1. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

I happened across this 1857 Seated Liberty Quarter at a local coin shop. I thought it looked like an honest enough host quarter and for $25 seemed like an interesting piece. C. Forsberg is listed in Ralau and Brunk, but that is all I have been able to determine. Does anybody know who or what this person was? Thanks for looking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

Now that's cool....I have seen just 1 letter stamped seated 25c's but never that...

4. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Very nice counterstamp mill rat. You made a great buy at $25. I do recall having some information on this issuer, but need to dig around in my files. I also have a Forsberg counterstamp with several other names also stamped on the coin. I'll check around and get back to you.

Bruce

5. BRandM

Foresberg.jpg
    Here's my copy of Forsberg with a couple of other names on it. Charles Forsberg was a medical instrument maker in New York City in the 1850's. I don't know the identity of the other people who stamped their names on the coin but I'm looking for them. You have a great piece there mill rat at a great price. You could probably get 75 to $100 for it from a collector.

Bruce

6. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Those are pretty cool. Bruce, yours must have looked just like mill rat41's until those others got ahold of the coin.

7. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

Thanks Bruce, that is exactly the type of information I was looking for. Comparing the shape of the C and G it looks like the same exact punch.

8. BRandM

Unless there's some personal or business connection here Kasia, mine might have been struck by a die cutter who used the coin to test his stamps for appearance and finish. Yours mill rat was probably struck by Forsberg as an advertising piece. It's definitely from the same punch as are the other examples I've seen. Congrats on a great pickup.

Bruce

Draft saved Draft deleted