Counterstamped Large Cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Matthew Kruse, Sep 14, 2022.

1. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

I found this one recently in a lot of coins and I was trying to figure it out.

It looks like a patent issued January 8, 1862 and an address 16 Harwood North.

There's a 16 Harwood St. North in Andover Massachusetts and four other 16 Harwood addresses in New York. I'm guessing the current address is a business and not a residential address, I don't think it would have changed that much. Also, the lot was shipped from an address in Massachusetts. This one is all over the place.

Any help with this large cent would be appreciated, especially from you New Yorkers! @paddyman98

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I didn’t find it in Brunk but that doesn’t mean it isn’t in there

4. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

5. Hommer

Attached Files:

Matthew Kruse likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Sure is a worn coin. Slightly off center too.

7. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

@Hommer awesome thanks so much!

Hommer likes this.
  8. Hommer

Glad to help. I am curious as to why it was stamped into a coin if this is truly what it is referencing. Did they do that as coins were more durable to carry than paper?

Matthew Kruse likes this.
  9. Collecting Nut

Counter stamped coins were mainly a way to advertise.

Matthew Kruse and Hommer like this.
  10. norantyki

norantyki CoinMuncher

Advertising, store / equipment tickets, credit tokens, or testing punches are the main culprits.

11. Hommer

This made me smile, as I was researching the patent date, the date stamped into the coin looked to be a 6 overstamped with an 8. I wondered if it was because they didn't have a 7. Low and behold when the Harwood patent information came up, it was on the 7th. I am sure none of this has the possibility of being true, but it is kind of a comical coincidence.

12. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

The off center appearance is due to the counter stamp pressing the coin flat, not the minting process. Notice the flat, uneven, out of round edges caused by the counter stamping.

13. Collecting Nut

That’s at the bottom or six o’clock area. I’m looking at the 3 stars between 9:00 and 12:00. That to me looks to be off centered. I can not imagine the coin being that round in that area, with details left from minting, moved due to the counter mark. Off centered coins from this time frame are considered common.

Draft saved Draft deleted