Counterstamped Commemorative Half Dollars

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by statequarterguy, Jan 22, 2010.

1. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Anyone ever see either of these two counterstamped commemorative half dollars and/or know what they've sold for?

The first is the 1925 Stone Mountain Memorial described on page 281 of the 2010 Red Book.

The second is the 1993 Bill of Rights described on page 306 of the 2010 Red Book.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

no, but I'd love to see them.

I just checked the Red Book, nice catch on those notations.

4. statequarterguy

Yeah, back in the day, when I was working on completing a bu set of commems and I went to shows, I'd ask at every show and nothing. Figured maybe the exposure the Internet affords may produce some results, but still haven't found either of these coins for sale or any sales data.

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

6. Hudson James

Hudson James Junior Member

I dont have a 2010 redbook so this must be a private conversation ..can you post the gist for us less fortunate?

7. statequarterguy

If you have any Red Book since around 93/94, find those two commems and it should be the same descriptions.

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

9. diocletian

diocletian Senior Member

There was a guy who was asking for help with a counterstamped Stone Mountain on the ebay coin board a couple years ago. He thought it was ruined but it turned out to be one of the more rarer ones ( I think NC?)

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

11. statequarterguy

Thanks for checking.

12. Gunsnwater

Gunsnwater Junior Member

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I don't know much about the Bill of rights coin (It was marked by a private company just for a sales promotion where they sold them for an overpriced amount and tried to convince people that lower serial numbered coins would be more highly valued. Collectors just considered them to be damaged coins.

The Stone mountain coins were counterstamped and sold as a fund raising promotion with part of the money going to the Stone Mountain Memorial and part to the Daughters of the Confederacy and the Confederate Veterans Homes. They were not promoted as a "collectible" or as an investment item. They were more of a souvenir or a "thank you" for those who bought them at well over the going rate with the money going to the charity. Sales didn't do real well and they are rare today. The countermarked coins sell for high figures today.

14. statequarterguy

Both sound like my kind of coins. Lol Initial rejection by collectors, producing low numbers, and later valued higher due to those low numbers. I think the Red Book says the Bill of Rights Half was marked by the ANA and the Madison Foundation and sold to benefit that foundation, as were a portion of the proceeds even sans the mark.

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

16. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I have to say those are just Awsome!!

17. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

I have handled a number of the Stone Mountains. They are very interesting and were usually stamped for issue in a specific area as a fundraiser for the locality. They exist for most of the CSA members. They usually range in value from a couple hundred dollars to a couple thousand. They are quite scarce, but can occasionally be cherrypicked as damaged pieces.

18. statequarterguy

Ouote from Red Book for Stone Mountain. “Some of these coins were counterstamped on the reverse by the issuing commission, with letters and numbers for distribution to individual state sales agencies. These are valued much higher than normal coins”.

Ouote from Red Book for Bill of Rights. “Some 9,656 of the Uncirculated version were privately marked on the edge with a serial number and the initials of the Madison Foundation and the American Numismatic Association”.

19. Turkey Killer

Turkey Killer New Member

I have a 1925 Stone Mountain Half (nice) 248 ARK.
    Any ideas as to how to trace it back to the original owner?

20. Turkey Killer

Turkey Killer New Member

21. HawkeEye

HawkeEye 1881-O VAMmer

Did you get an answer to this post?

Draft saved Draft deleted