Counterstamped Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by silverdrachm, Mar 29, 2012.

1. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

001.JPG 002.JPG
    Here's one I just picked up a couple of weeks ago 19Lyds. It's Mel Wacks #MW17. I think he issued a total of 21 different stamps all commerorating important events in U.S. history. The dies are well executed and the coins struck-up nicely. This one was issued in a small padded plastic capsule which I have kept seperately.

Bruce

dwhiz and Flamdrag99 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BRandM

There are only a dozen Wyman counterstamps documented Collect89. I've only seen then in pictures and never had one in hand to examine. Wouldn't mind having one for my collection either. BTW, Wyman died in 1881 in Burlington, NJ (not far from where I live). I should find out where he lived and get ahold of a medal detector and go hunting. :D

Bruce

4. Flamdrag99

Flamdrag99 New Member

I know it has been some time since anyone replied to this, but your questions is quite broad. Counterstamps/countermarks exist on a plethora of host coins from quite a wide range of countries and time periods. Are you looking for piece from any particular local or just looking for general information?

Countermarks are what I collect and would be more than happy to discuss them with you if you have any questions.

5. Flamdrag99

Flamdrag99 New Member

Here are a couple of world countermarks.

Timor Pataca ND (Decree of June 13, 1900) KM-8
    Timor, 1900 obv.jpg
    Timor, 1900 rev.jpg

Costa Rica 2 Reales ND (Decree of November 19, 1841) KM-11
    20161128_173812.jpg 20161128_173820.jpg

Scotland 1 Shilling 8 Pence ND (circa 1811) 1/3 cut 8 Reales 1782-MoFF with +PAYABLE AT ROTHSAY MILLS in circular indent 20160825_164954.jpg 20160825_165009.jpg

Attached Files:

dwhiz likes this.
  6. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

One of my favorite coins comes in a counterstamped form: the dazzling Meiji Dragon Japanese Yen coins of 1870 - 1914. They are roughly the size of a Morgan dollar and contain slightly more silver.

[​IMG]

On the reverse and to the left center is a small circular counterstamp. The character 銀 appears in the counterstamp, pronounced "gin" (with a hard "g"), which means "silver." Once marked, these coins joined the silver trade in Korea, China and elsewhere. I sometimes can't stop staring at these things.

green18 likes this.
  7. Flamdrag99

Flamdrag99 New Member

20160825_170403.jpg 20160825_170410.jpg [Egrisi
    QUOTE="ewomack, post: 2580854, member: 15588"]One of my favorite coins comes in a counterstamped form: the dazzling Meiji Dragon Japanese Yen coins of 1870 - 1914. They are roughly the size of a Morgan dollar and contain slightly more silver.

[​IMG]

On the reverse and to the left center is a small circular counterstamp. The character 銀 appears in the counterstamp, pronounced "gin" (with a hard "g"), which means "silver." Once marked, these coins joined the silver trade in Korea, China and elsewhere. I sometimes can't stop staring at these things.[/QUOTE]

Nice man, I have one of those as well. Though mine has not toned very nicely.

8. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head, the two that I really like are the 1776 Mexico FM 8 Reales w/ a British C/S, and a Peru 1 Sol w/ a Guatemala C/S. Both are silvers and both have some neat designs.

Here's a random example of the 8 Reales (not mine, but looking for one...):

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/3069829-003/

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Per Conder's definition:

counterstamps:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dwhiz and green18 like this.
  10. Treashunt

and:

Counterstamp: N-York

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dwhiz, green18 and BRandM like this.
  11. Treashunt

Last Bustie:

O-102 Counterstamp:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dwhiz and green18 like this.
  12. BRandM

That's a really old way to abbreviate New York, Frank. I've seen it quite often, and have a few in my collection. Very nice on a Bust Half.

Bruce

13. Treashunt

Thanks, Bruce.

I consider that a real compliment from you.

:)

BRandM likes this.
  14. Abigail2017

Abigail2017 New Member

15. Abigail2017

Abigail2017 New Member

I have a 2002 fifty cent piece that is counterstamped R C. Any ideas?
    I have a 2002 counterstamped fifty cent piece. It is stamped RC. Any ideas?

16. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I did purchase a Papal half when the Pope came to Philadelphia. There was one merchant that had this sign in the door. Pay Pal visit (1).jpg Pope Half Dollar 001a-tile.jpg

17. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Royal crown rccola.jpg

Flamdrag99 likes this.
  18. BRandM

Probably just someones initials, Abigail. Did you get the coin in change, or did you buy it?

Bruce

19. Abigail2017

Abigail2017 New Member

I got it in some change. I'm not a coin collector, but found it interesting that someone would go through all of the trouble to put two letters on a coin. [​IMG] [/FLOAT_LEFT]

BRandM likes this.
  20. BRandM

I suppose some people do it just to have some fun, Abigail. Surprisingly, there are a lot more contemporary counterstamps out there than you might think. Here's a few I have in my collection.

Bil-Mar was a resort in Florida. Although on an old English Penny, they only date back to the 1960s or 70s. NEOCC stands for the Northeast Ohio Coin Club. Bil Mar 1.JPG NEOCC.JPG

Bruce Bil Mar 1.JPG

21. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

Bruce - glad to have the details on the Bil-Mar coin. I was after one for some time and finally snagged one this year. (Now if you can only dig up the issuer of another English large cent I have - an early 1900s coin that is stamped "Tis an old rye" beneath the portrait. As far as I know that one is still an intriguing mystery.)

2016 also saw one of my dream counterstamps being added to my collection - a 19th century French 10 centimes with the common PEARS' SOAP counterstamp AND the EMPIRE THEATRE/ IMMENSE SUCCESS counterstamp all on the same coin. (It is the less common two-line version, no less). There was apparently so much counterstamping of copper coins in England in the second part of the 19th century that they were running into previously counterstamped coins..... ( I don't have pics but will post some at some point).

On a personal note, a couple months ago when I was doing some counterstamping of my own and when I broke open a roll of new nickels and I found a 2016 nickel that was an "in the collar, flipped over, double struck" coin. That is the most valuable version of a double struck coin, worth around several hundred dollars, but it somehow got even better: the first strike was dated 2015 and the second strike was dated 2016. I was told by some error experts that a coin like that, although not unheard of, is beyond rare and is worth between $2000 and $3000. Yikes - it was seconds away from being counterstamped....

Diplodocus and BRandM like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted