Counterstamped Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by silverdrachm, Mar 29, 2012.

1. silverdrachm

silverdrachm Active Member

I am interested in counterstamped coins. i dont have any so can anyone just tell me the basics on whats a good buy and which ones are worth more then others and any other info would be really nice. thanks:smile

TonkawaBill and capthank like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

I don't have any, but I would think that the counterstamps that can be associated with the identity and history of who stamped them would have the highest value.

Insider likes this.
  4. silverdrachm

ya but i was wondering like which ones i should start off buying and info like that. and thanks

5. mackwork

Wait for one of the counterstamp collectors to give some advice.

6. silverdrachm

7. Owle

Owle Junior Member

Which coins? I have owned Trade dollars with counterstamps and Bust quarters some of which have "E" and "L" counterstamps.

8. silverdrachm

Counterstamped Coin Help

I am interested in counterstamped coins. i dont have any so can anyone just tell me the basics on whats a good buy and which ones are worth more then others and any other info would be really nice. thanks for any help.

9. mackwork

gee whiz - that's 5 threads you started today with the same topic, in 2 forums. That won't get you an answer any quicker, or could result in your question being ignored by those that could answer. Give it time. :)

Maybe you're not waiting long enough for the posts to post before hitting submit again? I see you have a few threads started at the same time. Hitting submit post without waiting long enough can cause that.

10. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I just saw your p/m to me silverdrachm. I sent a reply with some ideas and advice. Good luck!

Bruce

11. silverdrachm

12. silverdrachm

thanks so much!

13. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

SilverDrachma, Welcome to the forum!

But, please read the rules of the site. I have spent the last 10 minutes or so, deleting your duplicate posts and merging the ones with posts to this one. Do not start any more threads of this subject~ Thanks, Jim

14. wheatydigger

wheatydigger Member

Welcome to the forum! I also had recently become interested in counterstamped coins. I had one member help me out, and he reccomended a book on counterstamped coins by Greg Brunk. I am looking into purchasing it.

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

This isn't my field but a couple of basics.

First two definitions.

Counterstamp: A letter, word, phrase, symbol etc that is punched into a coin by a nonofficial source such as a private person or business for the purpose of advertising, testing a punch, or just random damage.

Countermark: A letter, word, phrase, symbol etc that is punched into a coin by an official authority so as to permit the coin to pass at a revised value, or to be accepted as a legal tender in an area other than the one for which it was originally struck.

Countermarks are almost always worth a premium because One, they are official. Two, they are normally the result of an emergency situation. Three, the production is usually small and survival in low.

Counterstamps tend to come as two basic types, identified issuers, and unidentified issuers. Identified issuers are always worth more than unidentified ones. Identified issuers are typically full names or business names, sometimes with addresses, or a recognized logo etc. Rarely are they just individual letters. Unidentified issuers can also be full names that just have not been attributed to a specific person. Single letters or pairs of letters are almost always unidentified. Unidentified individual or paired letter punches should not be considered to be Counterstamps but would be better classified as simple damage. Many dealers with a coin that has a random letter punched into it will try and get a large premium for it by calling it a counterstamp. But if it can't be attributed to a specific issuer it should be treated as just a damaged coin and it's value should be reduced greatly, not increased.

Insider likes this.
  16. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Welcome to the forum.

Conder101 gave a nice description of countermarks & counterstamps. If you do a search here at CT for "countermark" or "counterstamp" or "counter mark" or "counter stamp" you will find several descriptive threads. You can see from the previous threads what kinds of coins different folks collect. If you include my name "collect89" in the search, then you will see some of my collection of government countermarked coins. I only have a few examples from Central America & Brazil.

One time I didn't buy a US silver coin with a "wizard" counterstamp on it. I regret passing-up on that coin.

Attached Files:

jamor1960 likes this.
  17. silverdrachm

thank you so much for helping me and taking the time to explain this to me!

18. mackwork

Conder101 - nice information - thanks!

Collect89 - I'm interested now in what/who that "wizard" counterstamp was associated with?

19. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I NOW understand that there was a magician & ventriloquist that marked coins in the 19th Century. The mark is WYMAN WIZARD & VENTRILOQUIST. This is the mark of 19th century magician John Wyman. I'm told that Wyman was from Philadelphia and worked as a magician for almost 50 years (at one point working in the employ of P.T. Barnum) He is credited as being the first U.S. magician to do the ‘Bullet Catch,’ in which the performer catches a discharged bullet with his teeth. I have also been told that his act was a favorite of one of our most famous presidents (Lincoln). I wish I knew all this when I first spotted the silver coin. It was quickly purchased by a collector after I passed on it. I have communicated with that collector & he is a really nice person. The coin is in good hands.

I have seen one other example on display at a dealer's table at FUN. The dealer said it was part of his personal collection & it was for display only.

20. mackwork

Nice history behind the "wizard" counterstamp. Hopefully you'll be able to get one sometime in the future. If I ever see one available I'll try to remember to let you know.

21. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

When the topic of counterstamped coins comes up, I always think of these:

1981 Reagan Dollar 1976-S IKE Slab Obv-03D.jpg 1979 Papal Peso 1965 Un Peso Slab ObvD.jpg 1979 Baby Dollar on  1974-D Eisenhower Slab ObvD.jpg 1981 Freedom Dollar on 1971-S Eisenhower Slab ObvD.jpg

Created by Mel Wacks who has a fairly good following.

The coins can be found on eBay with mild frequency and range in price from $30 upto $90 for the low mintage pieces.

He also has a 1993 Peace Accord Peace Dollar which is quite expensive.

dwhiz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted