Counterstamped 8 Reales Coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Charitycoincollector, Nov 25, 2022.

1. Morning all,

I've come across this wonderful counterstamped 8 Reales Coin but I'm struggling to work out where it's from precisely. Presumably from somewhere in South America I've attached photos below. Coin has been tested and is silver weighs 27g and measures 4cm in diameter. Dated 1791 with the name of Carolus IIII. Small oval counterstamp of presumably another king. The reverse has what appears to be an overlapped TPS 8R. P.R

Any help much appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

The mintmark logo is PTS which signifies Bolivia, so possibly one like this
    https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces26228.html
    The counterstamp I have no idea

Randy Abercrombie and Heavymetal like this.
  4. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The counterstamp is for King Charles III of England. There was a shortage of coins in circulation in England in the late 1790s, and the mint at the Tower of London was woefully inadequate. The quick solution was to counterstamp crown sized coins with a bust of the king. The initial value was set at 4 shillings and 8 pence.

The British people didn’t give the pieces a warm reception. This limerick summed up the view of many: (Not quite the right wording)

“To get their coins to pass, the mint stamped the head of a fool on the neck of an ass.”

Another comment

Two heads, but not a crown.” (A crown was worth 5 shillings.)

This was done again in 1804, this time with a larger counterstamp that was taken from the Maundy penny. This time the value was set at 5 shillings.

These counterstamps were placed on other coins including, rarely, the U.S. Bust Dollar.

5. johnmilton

As a follow up, the small counterstamps were rather widely counterfeited sometimes on counterfeit coins. The larger counterstamps were used to combat that problem. Later, in 1804 and for years after, the mint overstruck British the Spanish coins with Bank of England dies. Some these coins have undertype showing from host coin.

6. UpGrayedd

UpGrayedd Member

Screenshot_20220611-121222_NGC.jpg Screenshot_20220611-121233_NGC.jpg I agree with everything @johnmilton said. Here is an example of the 1804 Bank of England Dollar/Token that was overstruck on a Spanish 8 Reales.

johnmilton likes this.
  7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

johnmilton likes this.
  8. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

The octagonal stamp with George III’s effigy are much rarer. But counterfeits exist.
    It’s good to have pirates on the payroll.

9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

What does that say? @UpGrayedd
    upload_2022-11-25_20-13-10.jpeg

I can't quite make out the upper three letters.
    Is that PIT OUT 18 1877?
    I can't find my glass's to fully tell.

10. UpGrayedd

UpGrayedd Member

PIT OCT 18 1877, I'm not sure what "PIT" represents, but I assume "OCT 18 1877" represents October 18, 1877.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  11. johnmilton

Here are pictures of the counterstamped 8 reale pieces.

The small counterstamp

1794 Sm Counter All.jpg

The large counterstamp. These pieces are scarcer than the smaller marked pieces.

1794 Counter All.jpg

Here is a close-up photo of the large counterstamp.

1794 counter.jpg

This image of George III was taken from the 1800 Maundy penny.

1800 Maundy Penny All.jpg

UpGrayedd and ldhair like this.
  12. Thank you all. Great info all round. :shame:

Draft saved Draft deleted