Counterstamp trade dollar

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by chromerunner, Aug 28, 2015.

1. chromerunner

chromerunner ******

Picked up this coin recently, anyone seen this counter stamp before?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    rzage, green18 and dwhiz like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Not I, but it's neat

chromerunner likes this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

That's my wife's cousins name......kindly send it on to me.......:)

5. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Ken , you mean she has the same name as my late wive's cousin ? ;)

green18 and chromerunner like this.
  6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

nice piece, but as Bruce may chime in, not a traditional counterstamp.
    Most likely made with individual letters.

oh, BR&M?

7. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Seen lots of Trade Dollars with chops but first I've ever seen with a counterstamp.

8. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

That's a nice counterstamp chromerunner. Really unusual letter style and as Frank says, made with individual letter punches. It's unlisted in my references and the name being so common would make it nearly impossible to attribute to anyone.

It is unusual to see counterstamped Trade Dollars, but many were chopmarked. You have a nice example there probably worth about $100 or so.

Bruce

Jwt708 likes this.
  9. crypto79

crypto79 Junior Member

The guy above is spot on, many trade $ were used and abused to consist of chop, counter marked, engraved, defaced and made into box/locket dollars because they were large, cheap and common.

You have a common date but with a nice skin so 100$ is about right for full retail. If it was a known name or railroad with cross collectibility it would command more.

I have a 77p proof that was chewed up for a B&O railroad retirement but can't find the pictures right now.

10. DieHard11

DieHard11 Member

I have a 77s that looks genuine, but the weight is way below specs. I brought it to a dealer and, after inspecting it closely, he opened the obverse, which is carefully hinged, to reveal a glass enclosed photo of a woman's face, including a Victorian era hat on the back of the reverse and an inscription of devotion to someone dated 1909. I know that the Trade Dollars were occasionally used as ways to smuggle opium or such, but this was essentially a locket. Most of the ones I've seen have been damaged, probably from someone carelessly opening them. This one is in fine condition and was so well cut that I have to use a 20x loupe to find where to open it. Has anyone else seen this sort of thing?

green18 likes this.
  11. crypto79

crypto79 Junior Member

Classic opium dollar. It isn't so much one dollar cut as two cut down, filled and married to each other. There is no evidence they were actually used for opium. Back then they were lockets for hair and pictures.

Draft saved Draft deleted