Counterstamp on a slick Cartwheel Penny O-D-S A.S.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by son&son, Jan 17, 2019.

1. son&son

son&son New Member

Hoping someone may have seen this before. The large letters seem to be from fairly crudely made punches.

IMG_9210.JPG IMG_9211.JPG

Chris B and BRandM like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

I have not seen this before. But there is some serious doubling, especially on the "S", lol!

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It doesn't look like a cartwheel to me!

Chris

5. son&son

son&son New Member

No? I thought the raised rim was pretty distinctive and on the reverse the figure is still visible as well as the waves (11oclock in my second photo)

6. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Thanks for posting your counterstamp, s&s. I'm tempted to say it's a merchant mark, but there's too little information offered to be of any value as advertising. It's probably a pocket piece,,,the extreme wear indicates that at least. There's many, many counterstamps documented on the old English Pennies as well as a number on the 2p issues. A large , heavy coin to stamp.

Bruce

7. cpm9ball

"Cartwheel" was a nickname given to the older silver dollars. When you tilted an uncirculated specimen back and forth, the light would radiate brilliantly around the coin like the spokes of a wagon wheel.

Chris

8. son&son

son&son New Member

Thank you for your insight. I figured that it would be difficult or impossible to attribute. Its interesting to imagine how long it must have been carried for to wear the rim down nearly all the way.

9. son&son

son&son New Member

A nickname shared with 1797 English pennies, I assume due to the raised rim and large size. https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces947.html

Oldhoopster likes this.
  10. son&son

son&son New Member

Is it still "machine" doubling if it was struck by hand? Haha.

TexAg likes this.
  11. cpm9ball

Thanks for sharing that with me. I never knew that, but it's no surprise since I don't collect foreign coins. I wonder why the English penny was given that nickname. Do you know?

Chris

12. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

The "A.S." appears to be a prepared (single) punch, whereas the other letters are from individual punches.

Chances are slim that you will be able to identify it, but the A.S. is your best bet.

Draft saved Draft deleted