Countermark TONZOY, can you guess the emperor?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by cmezner, Jun 18, 2024.

1. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

The reverse is totally blank, one can only read on the obverse the countermark TONZOY, which is over an oval countermark that is illegible.

Just for the sake of it, can anyone guess who the emperor on the coin is?
    It came with the description "Claudius, AE25, TONZON countermark over oval countermark of head right, Howgego 568" but I don't think it is Claudius. Maybe Domitian or Trajan?

25 mm, 10.995 g
    Countermarked in Thrace, Tonzos

upload_2024-6-18_21-43-18.png

upload_2024-6-18_21-43-33.png

Bing likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Howgego 568 has an example for Augustus and Trajan.

cmezner likes this.
  4. cmezner

Doesn't look like Augustus. Then maybe Trajan.

I don't have Howgego and it seems that Howgego, Greek imperial countermarks. Studies in the provincial coinage of the Roman Empire, London 1985 (= Royal Numismatic Society. Special Publication No. 17), is not available on line. Internet Archive says: "This book is not available at this time"...

5. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Howgego doesn't state that Augustus and Trajan are the only options; but they are merely the only ones noted by the author. Theoretically, any emperor from Augustus to Trajan could be included.

nerosmyfavorite68 and cmezner like this.
  6. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

cmezner likes this.
  7. cmezner

Have read that the city of Tonzos located at the river Tonzos would later become Hadrianopolis.

What I can't find is the oval countermark which seems to be struck after the TONZOY countermark:confused:

Draft saved Draft deleted