Countermark or Banker's mark?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by RaceBannon, Apr 4, 2016.

1. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Hi all! It's been a while since I posted here. I've been lurking the past couple of days though, and it's great to see the same faces and some new ones posting about and enjoying the wonderful hobby of ancient coins!

As I was paging through my ancient collection this week, I came across this Marc Antony legionary denarius. I noticed the punch mark on it, and got to wondering what it was.

Is the punch above the praetorian war galley that vaguely resembles an American Indian thunderbird symbol considered a countermark or a banker's mark? What differentiates the two?

Here's a decent description of countermarks on ancient Roman coinage from an ancient collectors club in Los Angeles.
    http://www.accla.org/actaaccla/baker2.html

Lastly, please post your ancient coins with countermarks or banker's marks.

THE TRIUMVIRS
    Mark Antony (32-31 BC)
    AR Denarius (3.45g, 18mm).
    OBV: ANT AVG above, Praetorian galley right with rowers, III VIR R P C below.
    REV: Legionary eagle (aquila) between two standards (signa), LEG VII across lower field.
    Marc Antony LEGIO VII Rev.JPG Marc Antony LEGIO VII Obv.JPG

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

Hi Race!

The ACCLA article is pretty much the way I've always differentiated between the bankers marks and countermarks.

In keeping with your Marc Antony theme, here's a coin with some banker's marks on them. Funny how they are all on Cleopatra.

Marc Antony & Cleopatra Denarius Baldwins NY Show 2010 after Adobe Lightroom.jpg

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Nice coins! Thanks for the link to that article - that will be my bedtime reading tonight. :)

panzerman and RaceBannon like this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice coin, I still need one.

My few marks:

[​IMG]
    Petillius Capitolinus (43 B.C.)
    AR Denarius
    O: CAPITOLINVS, Bare head of bearded Jupiter right.
    R: PETILLIVS, The Capitoline Temple of Jupiter: richly decorated hexastyle façade with ornamented pediment and garlands hanging within three openings; [PE]TILLIVS in exergue.
    Rome
    3.5g
    20mm
    Crawford 487/1, Sydenham 1149

[​IMG]
    M. CIPIUS (115-114 B.C.)
    AR Denarius
    O: Helmeted head of Roma right.; before, M. CIPI. M. F.; behind, X.
    R: Victory in biga right, raising palmfrond in right, reins in left, rudder below, ROMA in ex.
    Rome
    17mm
    3.8g
    Syd 546. Cr289/1

[​IMG]
    L. Calpurnius Piso Frugi (90 B.C.)
    AR Denarius
    O: Laureate Head of Apollo right; symbol behind.
    R: L PISO FRVGI, horseman, holding palm frond and reins, on horse galloping right; symbol below.
    Rome Mint
    3.33g
    19mm
    Crawford 340/1

6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Some of these legionary denarii could be real magnets for banker's marks. I really like this one with I think at least three marks on it.

image.jpeg

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Issues famous for bad metal and many fourrees would tend to attrack attention from people who certified coins as good. Notice my coins have no marks but they do have the most classic fourree seams of any coins I own.
    ra8290bb0394.jpg ra8470bb0097.jpg

8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

nice, and cool paper RB...where u been hiding?

here's a coin with countermarks characteristic of a julio-caudian coin from (or at least countermarked in) moesia. has two helmets, a AVG and a TICA. Reverse shows a dolphin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sorry for the pics...to lazy to reshoot this one.

this place is nice if any of you aren't familiar with it...

http://www.romancoins.info/Countermarks-start.html

Mikey Zee, randygeki, Okidoki and 5 others like this.
  9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Banker's marks? Did someone say Bankers Marks?
    Marcus Antonius 9 a.jpg Marcus Antonius 10 a.jpg ATTICA AEGINA aa.jpg Augustus 1.jpg Augustus 3.jpg

10. Bing

11. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

I chose my 8 Reales (Mexico) for this thread simply because of the number of 'Banker's' (Traders) marks on it, (front and back). This coin is 'well travelled'.

Magical Snap - 2016.04.04 10.48 - 061a.jpg Magical Snap - 2016.04.04 10.47 - 060a.jpg

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  12. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I chose my JC denarius. Quite a few bankers marks on the obverse.

JC combined.jpeg

13. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hey Bannon => long time, no hear (we miss ya) ... I even slipped-on my sweet Hadgi avatar for ya!!

Ummm, I didn't read your link, but I'm banking that these are banker's marks ...

Lucius Axius a.jpg running man a.jpg L Papi a.jpg

Oh, and I'm thinking that countermarks and/or overstrikes have a bit more to 'em ...

syracuse heraclius countermark.jpg
    Heraclius CM Justin I.jpg
    Sicily Akragas AE Counterstamp.jpg
    Troas Abydos AE Counterstamps.jpg Boeotia Federal Coinage Overstrike.jpg
    Anonymous Overstruck AE Triens.jpg

14. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Good to be back!

Coin friends, I must confess, I spent the last several months on a hobby other than ancient coins. :eek: Will you still take me back!?! :smuggrin:

I bought a 1965 Mustang, the restoration of which has sucked up all of my budget and then some, that used to go into ancient coins.

I've had classic cars before in the past, but I had forgotten how easy it is to dump incredible amounts of $$$ into them just to keep the old jalopies on the road.

On the flip side, if you're a fan of American muscle cars, there's nothing that sounds quite like this.

15. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

Magical Snap - 2016.04.05 20.07 - 085.jpg Love the video. Snap!
    I don't have the video and sound but I do have the car.

Magical Snap - 2016.04.05 19.49 - 083.jpg Magical Snap - 2016.04.05 19.53 - 084.jpg

16. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

Thanks, zumbly.

17. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sweet rides, fellas ... I know that Bing is also a proud Mustang owner (I'm totally jealous)

=> yah, my dear ol' Dad drove a '65 Mustang before I was old enough to get my driver's license ... but by the time it was my turn to learn to drive, he'd already sold it and bought the family a stinkin' Vega station wagon!!

... and "not" this one ...

[​IMG]

(*sigh*)

Mikey Zee, Alegandron, Jwt708 and 4 others like this.
  18. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Mikey Zee and Topcat7 like this.
  19. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

@>R.B.
    If you keep it between us, I will let you know that the side skirts are G.M. equipment.
    (Don't hold it against me.)

RaceBannon likes this.
  20. Bing

I can attest to that. I've restored three '67 Mustang GTs over the years. Time and money!
    Mustang Pictures 008.jpg

21. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

@>Bing

Ooooh. Very nice. Your current ride?

Mikey Zee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted