counterfeits: which are most common in gold and silver coinage?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by chucklenut, Sep 25, 2018.

1. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

ive been stacking for a few years now, sometimes i buy coins with higher premiums just for something different. mostly i aim for the lowest spot i can and gun for coins that i believe are generally trustworthy. but as it is when you get sick, you shouldnt google because the flood of info will make you second guess everything you thought lol

so, my basic question is which are the most commonly minted coins that get copied from the overseas douchers? i stay away from bars mostly, but lately i have been getting french roosters, austrian ducats, brit sovereigns, 2 rand south africans, and generally fractional gold pieces that are generally restrikes or just older and circulated possibly. i buy from apmex, provident, jmbullion, and bayPM so they are from reputable dealers

silver i have been buying mostly eagles and the phil harmonics (a tube at a time) and junk silver (mostly 90% quarters and dimes, 35% war nickels, and 40% halves) because i thought these would be the least likely to be counterfeited

i dont bother with private mint stuff too much, on occassion if its a good deal but ive been thinking that perhaps it is best to buy new release gov coins and private mint rounds only (such as the 2018 kruggerand silvers) because they have yet to hit the market and get copied yet.

i do test my coins occasionally but nitric acid is damaging, the archemides test can be time consuming (plus i suck at math), and i am not the best at detail attention

so, do the coins i mentioned get copied often or as a rule of thumb should i be ok purchasing these types over others from trusted websites?? any info is greatly appreciated

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

As long as you buy from the big dealers above you should be safe. Interestingly, on occasion a counterfeit bullion coin as you mention above will be in a tube of coins from Europe. They are returned. Don't buy in flea markets.

chucklenut likes this.
  4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

chucklenut likes this.
  5. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

solid. thanks for the link and advice yall

6. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

fakes on my list include: Morgan Dollars, Peace Dollars, seeing more ASEs (especially on the facebook coin pages).

But I'm not much of an expert though if you research fakes of a particular coin some are more obvious; others are very close to the real thing.

I've bought from the same places you have listed. APMEX (here, somewhere) reviewed how they test and review for authenticity. When I look at eBay though I comb over the pictures to make sure with Peace Dollars.

chucklenut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted