Counterfeit

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Mike185, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

Had a deposit this week and ended up a couple of counterfeit $100. 3 of them. Took a picture before the bank took them from me.....

Well I gave them up...

FDFA45F9-1C5C-4388-8D0E-AB8B7BF64944.jpeg BAC4684C-3761-42E9-A1F1-A50D8D0DEF84.jpeg

George McClellan likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Dang Mike.. More problems :(

Hoping and praying for better days for you! Keep your head up!

4. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear it MIKE! There was a rash of counterfeit 20's going around here 30 years ago. Our manager asked the bank if they could help, and they sent somebody to give our employees a crash course in detecting fake $$$$.

Inspector43 and Mike185 like this.
  5. Mike185

thanks bud!!!!

6. Mike185

that might be a good idea for all the girls to take a couple of hours to learn a little... at my main store they know already by look at a uv light and notice the different colors of the band that is embedded in the note itself but do they alway do that........

Inspector43 likes this.
  7. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Sure could use a little good news. I hate to hear about those things.

Mike185 likes this.
  8. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

I've never seen a counterfeit bill before. Did all 3 have the same serial number? The fact that you went to the bank with them instead of passing them on reflects very well on you.

9. Mike185

It pass the pen test but didn’t pass the uv light. Thank god the manager loves our us!!! They bring donuts and I send them back to them also!!! They felt real... no us band at all...

10. Corn Man

Corn Man Well-Known Member

I dont take any bill over 5 dollars without looking for the strip and water mark because im so worried of getting one

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Mike, they say it comes in threes so one more and you're done with the bad news. How you handled this speaks very well about you. I'm just sorry to hear all of this. I've seen and handled counterfeit bills before. It took time but information thst I and one of my employees have led to the arrest of the couple passing them.

An official from the treasury department told me the best way to spot a counterfeit bill is to look at all of the tiny, detailed scroll work on bills. It just doesn't come out right on a fake bill. The details in today's bills, for the most part, can all be reproduced.

12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Bummer. I can't tell much from those photos, could you give us more information. Was it you, or an employee that discovered they were fake? How? What did the bank have to say? Have they had others?
    I don't normally have a need for $100 bills, so guess I won't have that problem, thank goodness, but being a currency collector, I do check ALL of my notes.

13. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

One thing I noticed right away was the prefix for all bills were PH, which to me stands for phony. I am not sure of the BEP did 100s that high for that series...

14. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

The BEP is using the letter P as a prefix letter for the 2017A’s, but they haven’t printed PH yet.

A7A8AF98-E597-46A3-8221-138BF914D440.jpeg

15. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

Awesome, thanks for the link. I couldn't find that info for some reason when looking for that series of $100s

16. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Series 2017A $100 PH-A notes were printed in February and March: https://www.moneyfactory.gov/resources/productionmonthly.html. It's just that the dude who operates http://www.uspapermoney.info/ supposedly hasn't been able to update the site due to limited internet access from the shuttering of his university and because of some sort of technical glitch.

It is interesting to note the rapid rate of speed in which 2017A $100 notes have made their way into circulation. Typically, it takes an average of a year from the time of printing to start seeing new blocks but with these it is common to find them just 1-2 months after printing.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  17. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

So who gave them to you in the firs place ??

18. Mike185

if I new there would be a call made!!!

19. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

I was at a show just today and overheard a dealer saying that the government is going to be getting rid of $100 and $50 bills because of all the counterfeiting. That was the first I've heard of this. Is it true? Apparently all the devices the Feds have used to thwart counterfeiting haven't worked very well. What else can they do? Go to polymers like other countries have done?

20. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Not true, no. Retiring denominations would require approval by Congress. If this was so much as proposed or introduced into legislation we would have all heard of it. Some, such as former Secretary of the Treasury Larry Summers, have sought to encourage the retiring of the $100 bill to thwart money launderers and the like: https://www.businessinsider.com/larry-summers-defends-ending-100-dollar-bill-2016-2. However, this was swiftly opposed by government officials as the U.S. $100 bill is the currency and denomination of choice around the world to be held by foreign governments and citizens alike.

The devices used work quite well, particularly on the $100 note. Nearly all counterfeit notes that circulate are outside of banking contexts. When you go to a bank to procure $50 and $100 notes, chances are they've been run through counting machines. These machines do a good job of detecting suspect notes. In addition, bank tellers work with cash all day so they are accustomed to noticing fake bills just by handling them as they tend to feel different and stand out.

Fake notes, particularly of higher denominations, may slip through at liquor stores or similar places but they tend not to circulate for very long before being noticed as chances are they will only be used for a limited number of transactions before being brought to a bank for deposit.

Polymer notes? Not any time soon. Even once approved for research and development, the government would take 5x as long as other countries just developing and testing them out. It would need to purchase and build new equipment to be used by the B.E.P., work on design creation, work with the manufacturers of bill counters/validators to update their chips and equipment to recognize/process the new bills, as well as announce to the world they are going to be introduced.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    manny9655 and Robidoux Pass like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted