counterfeit PCGS gold coins on ebay?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by WingedLiberty, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any idea how often St Gaudens and Liberty $20 gold coins in PCGS slabs are counterfeited and sold on ebay (I am talking about U.S. sellers here)

Is it too much of a gamble now a days?

It's hard to do weight tests in slabs although i think the magnet test would work through the plastic.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

I supose it would be easy enough to take a real PCGS slab. Carefully crack it open and substitute the fake. For $1,700 coin, such ministrations would be worthwhile. Sad comment on our times though.

4. richarrb

richarrb Junior Member

I am not 100% sure but I believe PCGS and NGC slabs and very tamper resistant. I have never tried to crack one out but dealing with sonic seals in my work its very obvious when the seal is broken.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No, it isn't easy at all. And there has never been one either.

But what it is easy to do is to fake the entire thing. You make your own fake slabs and your own fake coins.

As for the magnet test - it's worthless. All you have to do is make the coin out of gold.

6. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

Fake slabs are crawling all over Ebay and the problem is getting worse. What is worse is that the fakes spread out from Ebay to all other venues, such as local shows or local clubs, so venue alone means little now. Personally, I have cut way back on what I will buy or bid on. If there is any doubt, I move on and look elsewhere. Ebay doesn't care about fakes and won a major 7-year-long lawsuit against Tiffany, about fake Tiffany brand items being sold on the venue. Ebay only cares about their fees. If a new person asks, I tell there are lots of fakes being sold on Ebay. Fake coins, fake slabs, fake coins in fake slabs, real coins in fake slabs, fake albums full of fake coins, fake albums with mostly real coins and one or two fakes, it is a long list. Fake coins of virtually every value level, denomination, cost and country have been reported. Low cost is not a safe guard. High value coins are especially popular.

7. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

There could be counterfeit PCGS anything on Ebay.

8. Coinguy56

Coinguy56 Member

This is why I tend to stay away from e bay. There's far too many fakes, fakes in slabs, etc etc, as stated by RedTiger.

9. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

Oh and there was a major case involving tampered PCGS holders: from http://www.pcgs.com/articles/article_view.chtml?artid=5921&universeid=313 "Genuine, common date Morgan dollars were split into two pieces (front and back along the rim), then adhered to each other in combinations to create the illusion of rare date and mintmarks. The coins then were placed in tampered PCGS holders to give the coin credibility in the marketplace and to hide the alterations," said Stephen Mayer, Chief Operating Officer of Collectors Universe ... "These are not the same type of fakes as the die-struck Chinese counterfeits that are being offered in the marketplace. This is an entirely different method of counterfeiting, slicing genuine coins in half," explained Sargent. [and apparently slicing the holders too] ...

10. billyd624

billyd624 Junior Member

I haven't bought a coin slabbed by PCGS in a while now and non of them are expensive but now I wonder if my coins are fake. How can you tell a fake slabbed coin from a real one?

11. Coinguy56

Coinguy56 Member

I believe the ridges on each side are sharper and rougher on counterfeit ones. While they are smoother and sorta softer on legit ones. Another thing is to go on the website of the TPG that slabbed your coin, and verify the cert #.

12. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

i know for a fact that this method doesnt help at all ... as the manufacters of the fakes always match the fake with a correct PCGS and NGC certification #

what alerted me to this were ebay sellers with very low transaction counting selling PCGS MS 63 / 64 common date $20 gold coins ... one seller just had 1 coin for sale ... an MS64 St Gaudens Gold Coin from the 1920's

i know that the chinese fakes are getting REALLY REALLY good and this stuff is finding it's way to U.S. ebayers

it's a pretty good scam really as even if they are caught ... they would probably say they didnt know and were ripped off themselves.

i almost think it might be better to buy something not slabbed ... as at least then you could weigh it properly ... i think the weight would be hard to get right as gold is so heavy

13. coppertop5150

coppertop5150 New Member

As the price of gold went up after ww1 the gold content in u.s coins were worth more then the dollar denomination on the coin, most of the gold coinage was being bought up
    by over seas buyers and shipped out ... A lot of the gold that survived was gold sent overseas....
    The gold melt was away of stopping overseas gold buyers from getting gold cheaper then its value and reselling it oversead. (selling us coinage above face )

i was just reading about this... in fact alot of the u.s gold is still overseas...
    Making it tougher for someone to buy on ebay becuase you see a location overseas and get scared it overeas and might be a fake...

Plus someone might be selling euro fakes... I read awhile back russia had lots of u.s gold counterfiets also , made from gold plated lead coins..
    just like wingedsaid if someone is selling fakes all they have to do is point the finger at someone else and say they did not know

14. GDJMSP

The article doesn't say anything about the holders other than that they were "tampered with". And rather obviously, tampered with unsuccessfully.

My only point is this, so far there has not been a case of a tampered with holder that actually fooled anybody. Fake holders yes, there is a multitude of them.

15. RedTiger

RedTiger Member

How can you possibly know that? Is it true that you didn't know about the PCGS case until I linked it and that is one of the more widely publicized scams? There are likely thousands of scams you and I haven't heard about because many don't ever get reported or publicized. Those tampered holders mentioned in the article may well have fooled a good many collectors focused on a good deal and more than a few dealers interested in a quick score. The scammers went to a big name dealer, with very expensive merchandise ($10k on up per coin), so the coins and holders were checked thoroughly. If they were less valuable coins, they might have just gone through.

I'd go as far to say the opposite, that it is highly likely that there are some sliced holders out there, glued or melted back together. They might contain a real coin in at a higher grade, or a fake or altered coin. The folks stuck with the sliced slabs probably don't yet know that they have been taken. In fact, on another forum, there was another report of the same scam of sliced holders, sliced coins being passed on Ebay. I'd bet some Ebay buyers got stuck with some of those coins and don't even know yet.

As for the fake slabs, there are now several generations of fake slabs of varying quality. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to tell for sure.

16. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Wow you really sound like a true ebay hater. Most of these fake or counterfeit slabs get distributed on craigslist or other venues other than ebay, jmho.

17. GDJMSP

I don't for certain. What I do know for certain is that none has ever been reported. I also know that there have been quite a few where somebody tried to tamper with the slab but they always got caught, just like this one did.

No, it isn't true at all. That article you posted was posted in October 2009, a year and half ago. I read it back then. And if memory serves it was even posted about on this forum back then.

Everything you are saying is pure speculation. You ever looked at a slab that somebody tried to tamper with or slice open ? I have, it is readily noticeable. And they have been discussed numerous times on the various forums over the years. For that matter, many others have made the same claims that you are making now for at least the past 10 years. But yet not one case of it ever happening - where somebody, anybody, was successfully fooled even for a short time - has ever been reported. So to just assume that it somehow must have happened is a bit much I think.

I agree there are several generations of fake slabs now. And I also agree that the average collector cannot identify them. All the same, those fake slabs began to be identified within weeks of their first appearance. And I find it highly more likely that a fake slab could fool somebody for a far longer period of time than a tampered with slab could. But yet they did not. Which is again even more reason to not just blindly assume that there are tampered with slabs out there fooling people.

18. GDJMSP

Actually is is reported that a lot of them do come from ebay.

19. biged239

biged239 Member

Hello Group
    I just wanted to share this little story with you.
    At work I was talking with a co-worker about coin collecting. He went on to tell me, that a couple years ago a family member passed away. He left this co-worker his coin collection. In this collection he thought there was a coin worth a fortune. He sent it to auction just to find out that it was fake. He told me that the family member had paid almost a lot for the coin and it was a certified coin. They was going by the slab it was in.
    Thanks Big Ed

20. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

In that case, I'm glad I buy mine comando=unslabbed. :yes:

21. Blaine Anderson

Blaine Anderson New Member

Counterfeiting is being done on a massive scale by both China and North Korea they counterfeit gold coins using titanium which are basically identical in weight to a St-gaudens and a golden eagle! They also will counterfeit the plastic coin holders to a "T" ! hundred dollar bills have been found in the United States coming in from North Korea the only way they are detected is through the US treasury Department! US has 3 errors on our $100 bills which the North Korean $100 dollar bills dont have, thete is no way of knowing how many counterfeit $100 bills are out there! They are too perfect using the same paper, ink and the same printing press the US uses. Beware...!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.