Counterfeit or token?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Waybrun Hebert, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Waybrun Hebert

Waybrun Hebert New Member

image.jpg image.jpg This was in a book of coins that were collected in the 1940's and 50's any info would be appreciated .

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

4. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

looks like a contemporary (period) counterfeit, however I'm not an expert in this realm of collecting. If it truly is a period piece, it could be worth $$$.

rzage likes this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

100% fake

ddollard58 likes this.
  6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Pretty bad pic with definite signs of being a fake. The wings on the reverse are key in calling it a fake. Here's a real one, no divot marks on the wings like the fake. $_$2.501.JPG $_Rev 1.JPG

7. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Not even close. The flat rims suggest it may have been something made as a jewelry piece.

8. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Is it even gold ? Could you weigh it for us . I'm thinking contemporary fake .

9. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Very bad fake. Like, one of the worse I've seen

10. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

11. Oddnumistics

Oddnumistics Member

I can usually tell the fakes by the eagle. The fakes kinda look like turkeys. But yeah, this is a fake. Still cool in some aspects.

12. Waybrun Hebert

Waybrun Hebert New Member

I know it is a fake,. I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion of why it was made. i.e. gaming etc.

13. Oddnumistics

Oddnumistics Member

I would guess either to trick people or as a celebration piece. Although those typically have the word "COPY" on it

14. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

15. Tamaracian

Tamaracian 12+ Yr Member--Supporter

Unless you are familiar with characteristics of a genuine Liberty Quarter Eagle it would be fairly easy to fool a potential buyer, especially via an internet purchase, where many images are non-descript. The 2007 is a common date, but if the counterfeiter can make it from 14K gold (58% pure) he is ahead on profit; it's even worse if the fake is gold-plated base metal.

Draft saved Draft deleted