Counterfeit Morgan?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Bambam8778, Nov 27, 2023.

1. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Detecting counterfeits is not a strong suit of mine. I go by the usuals. Weight, magnet and I even have a sigma. It passes all 3. 26.5 grams. Non magnetic and it passes the sigma. The black garbage on the front concerns me and the die break I’m questioning on the reverse right where the mint mark or lack there of should be. What are your thoughts? IMG_4658.jpeg IMG_4659.jpeg IMG_4660.jpeg IMG_4661.jpeg IMG_4662.jpeg IMG_4663.jpeg

Dynoking likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I’m no expert but it looks good to me.

Mr. Numismatist likes this.
  4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

:oops::facepalm: I'm no expert so I'm :angelic: not going to post anything because I don't know. However, it might be of some use if I WERE TO POST THE REASON :spitoutdummy: for posting MY GUESS!

Kentucky and Dynoking like this.
  5. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Easy my friend. I understand your concerns and suggestions. Please comment on mine...

The black garbage AKA residue, is usually the result of cleaning and usually not helpful when determining the authenticity of a coin.
    As far as the die break; a die break would not be unique to one particular coin. It would be found on thousands. That lead me to think it would have been researched and assigned a VAM ID. After a quick search I was unable to confirm a variety on VAM World. But I suggest you conduct further research before drawing any conclusions.

Randy Abercrombie and Bambam8778 like this.
  6. Bambam8778

I was checking out VAM's as well to see if it was known and couldn't find anything either. Still searching....

Dynoking likes this.
  7. Coins4Eli

Coins4Eli Collector of Early American Copper

The details on this coin look fairly good. The coin is porous, if it was a cast fake the metal would be raised, and from what I am seeing it appears to be incluse, pointing towards environmental damage. I am leaning towards authentic on this piece, but finding it's VAM would be the icing on the cake.

Bambam8778 likes this.
  8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

It would keep you in the loop for this post...

9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I'm no expert, but I would not buy that coin with someone else's money.
    I don't think that scab thing on the reverse is a die break. It looks like someone put bubble gum on it to cover up an unwanted mintmark before they made a casting of it. Weak rim at 12 to 2 o'clock on both sides. Excuse me while I get out my 10' pole.

Bambam8778 likes this.
  10. Bambam8778

That thought crossed my head as well. If it’s not a “P” mint mark the value goes way down so it would be worth it for a scammer to do that and try to pawn it off. Conveniently located, isn’t it?

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

That doesn't look like a die break to me. It looks like enemy action. Solder, even? An attempt to cover up an overly-heavy-handed mint mark removal?

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted