Counterfeit Morgan Alert!!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mullah, Oct 28, 2019.

1. mullah

mullah Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Well-Known Member

it wont get pulled, I've seen ebay accounts with 3k+ feedback with every ancient coin for sale a fake and people are still bidding

4. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

How do you like his photo of the reverse?

5. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

It was a one day only auction. Even if it was reported it would've been too late to get taken down. Sold for $45.00 plus shipping.

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Struck with the rare blurred die? :rolleyes:

derkerlegand and I_like_Morgans like this.
  7. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Looks to me like it is unintentionally blurred. 95% of my coin photos turn out looking like this, but I suspect that nowhere near 95% of my coins are fakes.

I would really like to know why this is a fake coin so that I can examine my own '85-S Morgan to determine whether mine is fake too.

8. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Yes how was it determined that this coin is fake? What do we look for?

9. Packrat

Packrat Well-Known Member

Coloring looks like fake Morgans to me. Sometimes difficult to tell from a photo. One day sale with no return? Let's all play Powerball. They don't accept returns either.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  10. Raulhg

Raulhg Member

I've seen many of these fakes before. Many are sold at flea markets. Notice the brown looking patina - it's unnatural. Also, the letters are somewhat 'chubby' looking. U.S. coin's lettering are thin and sharp. Hope that helps.

11. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Isn't this a Federal offense?

Charles REid likes this.
  12. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

To knowingly sell a counterfeit coin would be a Federal Offense. IMO it would be very helpful when a member reports a counterfeit coin they explain why they think it's a counterfeit. It would be a great teaching tool.

capthank likes this.
  13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

To knowingly facilitating someone in selling a counterfeit (which is what ebay is often doing) is also illegal under the HPA.

14. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Coloring looks like >75% of the Morgans I looked at randomly on ebay. I'm aware that many CT members believe coin sellers there are dishonest, but I'm not ready to say that the ~ fifty 1885-S Morgans on ebay that I examined were all fakes. Heck, I'd be surprised if there were more than five fakes among the ones examined. I am not an expert, though, so there may be many 1885-S fakes on ebay right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted