Counterfeit Ducaton

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Silver Rider, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Silver Rider

Silver Rider Member

Bought 10 lbs of coins and found this.
    It's a counterfeit Netherlands Ducaton or maybe a evasion.
    Had it tested and it is silver, made in China.
    Anybody know a site I can find more information on it.
    Thank ya'll very much. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Love the date 767S

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Silver Rider

Silver Rider Member

I forgot it is,
    46 mm
    31.8 g

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

About genuine examples, or that specific fake ?

I'm asking because I seriously doubt there is any site with any info about the fake. And given your screen name and avatar, I kind of assume you already know about genuine examples.

5. Silver Rider

Silver Rider Member

Both. just looking at this coin when I joined cointalk and thought, that's neat I'll use that. Can always information.

6. Silver Rider

Silver Rider Member

I realy would like to know more about the fakes.

7. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

Can you provide detailed information about how it was tested to be silver? Frankly, I'm skeptical that it is anything but possibly silver-plated if it comes from China.

8. Silver Rider

Silver Rider Member

Took it to the coin shop. He has metal tester that he uses to test silver a for he buys it. It surpised him also. He looked it up on a pay site that said it was a contemporary counterfeit from China. Got busy and found not research it farther.

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Just by looking at your picture I would have said it appears to be an obvious fake - for several reasons. And if I get out Delmonte's Silver Benelux, which to the best of my knowledge is the best book there is on silver coinage of the Netherlands, there is no such coin as the one you pictured - from any of the mints, let alone Holland.

I can't help you much on that count. The best way to identify fakes is to know what the genuine coins look like. And the best way to know that is by owning the right books, such as the one I mentioned above.

You have to know what the surfaces of the coins are supposed to look like, what the various legends are, what mints made them and in what date periods, where the dates are located during given date periods. In some they are in the top rev legends near the rim, in others they are on the lower rev inside the scroll work similar to the coin you pictured.

On your coin the date itself is a dead give away as it is not even a date.

Here are pics of two examples I used to own, both from the 1700's. Those from the 1600's are slightly different, particularly in regard to the location of the dates. On those the dates are in the legends.

1757-6 ducaton obv.jpg 1757-6 ducaton rev.jpg

1791 ducaton rev.jpg 1791 ducaton obv.jpg

But I think you can easily see how different the surfaces of the 2 coins I posted are from the one you posted. These were obviously struck, yours looks like it was cast, which is indicated by what looks to be casting bubbles all over it, particularly on the obv. There are some on the rev as well, but fewer and less noticeable.

Chris B likes this.
  10. dirty_brian

dirty_brian Well-Known Member

could you possibly take some better pictures?

11. realeswatcher

realeswatcher New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted