counterfeit coins on amazon

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by john65999, Jul 26, 2021.

1. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

OldSilverDollar likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. john65999

4. john65999

5. john65999

6. john65999

7. john65999

their english not so gooder....

• Morgan Silver Dollars are one of the most collected coins in the world!-Welcome to KaiKai
    • We have 578's of coins in stock and ready to be shipped.
    • Dear, this old Coin is made of copper; the old Coin is plated with 925 sterling silver. This product is handmade crafts. It is not a tradable silver coin, but it is worth your permanent collection.
    • It also appears on the reverse on the left-hand loop of the ribbon. Coinage of the silver dollar was suspended after 1904, when demand was low and the bullion supply became exhausted. Under provisions of the Pittman Act of 1918, 270,232,722 silver dollars were melted, and later, in 1921, coinage of the silver dollar was resumed.
    • About: Souvenir / Collection It will be your best collection![Welcome to KaiKai]

8. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

9. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

"...Seated Liberty Silver Color Dollar" That must be Chinese for "fake"

john65999 likes this.
  10. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

They wrote:
    • Dear, this old Coin is made of copper; the old Coin is plated with 925 sterling silver. This product is handmade crafts. It is not a tradable silver coin, but it is worth your permanent collection.
    I read:
    • Dork, this old coin was made in China; the old Coin is plated and basically worthless. This product is handmade i.e. totally fake. It’s not a silver coin, but if I mention « silver » several times, maybe you’ll buy it!?

11. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Bad reviews/comments since 2019. How is this person allowed to still sell on Amazon? Ridiculous.

john65999 likes this.
  12. wxcoin

It helped Bezos pay for his pocket rocket!

13. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

The listings do say "RESTRIKE" in the small print...and you can order up to 30 sets at a time. Still, they should be plainly stamped "COPY".

14. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

I honestly felt a little sick to my stomach reading this. like giving a hungry kid a bowl of sawdust and calling it rice.

15. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

You got that right! 112.gif Amazon needs to get real or quit their coin selling offerings, they are ridiculous!

john65999, Southernman189 and yakpoo like this.
  16. Jim-P

Jim-P Well-Known Member

That's messed up. Shame on the seller and the platform. Despite showing RESTRIKE, which maybe most people will understand as COPY, some of these are bound to be re-sold illegally for real money.

john65999 and Southernman189 like this.
  17. Tusky Ranger

Tusky Ranger Active Member

I've actually bought several "fakes" aka "replicas", "copies", etc to fill holes for coins I'll never be able to buy (specifically old silver dollars). The flip is well marked "copy". I know they are not real, but...it makes the set look complete :)

john65999 likes this.
  18. Packrat

Packrat Well-Known Member

john65999 likes this.
  19. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

The same type of crap is on Facebook. Morgan, Peace and Silver Eagles on Facebook. Facebook does nothing to prevent this from happening. I even brought up a point that the same exact pictures of counterfeit coins were being sold under different company names. I received a notice from Facebook my post may be misleading by claiming they were the same company. They were even using a doctored film the US Mint put out on the production of silver eagles. Most of these guys are easy to spot just by the wording in their adds. Pricing is a dead give a way. One add was selling Statue of Liberty dollars but showed silver eagles. Only a dimwit would think a silver eagle was a Statue of Liberty dollar. I've seen claims they had to close a "Public" auction house and had to liquidate all their Morgan dollars. I think they were selling them for just over $7.00. Another time it was a museum was forced to close and was selling off the coins. Another good one was they were forced to close a museum or auction house because of Covid in Alaska but, they showed a picture of people holding stuff from Nevada. And of course they had no clue as to American English grammar because the wording wasn't even at the level of a kid in first grade.

john65999 and AuldFartte like this.
  20. wxcoin

Unfortunately, there are many people who fall for these scams; the example I mentioned earlier about the person buying these "silver dollars and halves" for her grandson's college education. I'm sure these are the types of people we constantly hear about getting preyed upon by these low lifes. Eventually, they will try to sell them and will find out that they were had and they will end up getting sold again by another unscrupulous moron. I guess one big lesson in life is that ignorance is no excuse.

21. harrync

harrync Well-Known Member

First, my definitions: Restrike: a coin struck from the original die, or a coin struck by the original issuing body using the original die or an [exact] copy of the original die. Some may disagree ["When I use a word, Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone, it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less"], but I think that is pretty close to the generally accepted definition. Copy: any other replica of a coin.
    In the U.S., it is illegal to sell a copy unless it is clearly marked so; no, marking the flip or other holder does not count; it is still illegal. It may or may not be legal to buy an unmarked copy from China, but re-selling it in the U.S. still unmarked is clearly illegal.

Draft saved Draft deleted