Counterfeit British Trade dollar

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Teddydogno1, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Well-Known Member

Saw one today while coin browsing. Came close to buying it for $10 just because it is interesting. At first glance it looked OK to me (NOT an expert, though I do have a nice graded one). Upon closer inspection the elements are all pretty crude and there is some apparent porosity in the coin. Been second guessing my decision not to buy it. I know contemporary fakes/counterfeits can be valuable in themselves. But since I have trouble SPOTTING the fake, how can I spot a GENUINE COUNTERFEIT vs. a modern FAKE?

For $10, should I have bought it for a curiosity? Date was 1912 BTW and appeared to have an attempt at the "B" mint mark in the trident, but just had a flat spot with a void instead of an identifiable "B".

rob

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It is so near to a certainty that this was a modern base metal fake that you were wise to keep your cash in hand. This is one of the commonest fake dollar size coins and often one of the crudest.

Numismat and swamp yankee like this.
  4. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Member

YOU MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE>>

5. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Can you guys post some pics? I believe I have both a genuine and a counterfeit 1912 trade dollar...

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Actually, we may learn just as much by seeing your pics. Either way icon_smile_pics.gif

7. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I am currently not at home but abroad visiting the family... but I can post pics in a couple of days. Maybe you guys will tell me both of my coins are fake :-O

8. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I hope not, but we'll be here. icon_lol.gif

9. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I agree with afantiques that it is a modern fake. I have never actually seen a contemporary counterfeit of one of these, and for good reason. These were made to such a high standard that any attempt to fake them would have been readily noticeable to a merchant that handles them, with very bad results for the person trying to pass them.

10. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys. The seller seemed to be on top of things and would most likely have marked it or commented on it being silver, even if counterfeit.

Britannia looked like a cartoon horror under magnification!

Rob

11. mark240590

mark240590 Rule Britannia !

alot of the contemporary ones said "For Jewellery" on them. Im still on the lookout for one of the debased spanish dollars we struck in canton !

Draft saved Draft deleted