Counterfeit? 2007 £1 Coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Bradley Trotter, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

I recently acquired this round pound in an assortment of foreign coins I received. However, I believe that this coin may indeed be one of the many counterfeit round pound coins that entered circulated prior to the introduction of the 12 sided £1 coin. The lettering and general level of detail appear to be lower than usual on both the obverse and reverse even for a circulated coin. Moreover, the decorative edge of the coin seems inconsistent in multiple areas, thus, leading me to suspect it may be a counterfeit. Any insight and opinions are appreciated below.

2007 Obverse .jpg

2007 Reverse .jpg

2007 Edge Two.jpg

2007 Edge One.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Legomaster1

Legomaster1 Cointalk Patron

Judging by the poor detailing, it might be a cast counterfeit.

Bradley Trotter likes this.
  4. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Certainly looks like one of the fakes to me - the edge is very poorly struck and that is the area the counterfeiters had the greatest problems with. The "break" in the pattern is actually correct - a small dot breaking the twisted pattern at one point.
    Some estimates suggest up to 1 in 30 £1 coins were fake by the time they were replaced, so certainly not scarce.

TuckHard and Bradley Trotter like this.
  5. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

That screams fake to me as well.

6. TuckHard

TuckHard Well-Known Member

1/30 circulating coins being a counterfeit is an insanely high percentage. Is there any stats for other countries?
    I've seen online an example of a fake Sacagawea dollar from Central America but it was theorized to have been locally made and circulated due to the country using the US Dollar but not having its own minting capabilities and the lower risk of being caught.

Draft saved Draft deleted