Counterfeit $20

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by WashQuartJesse, Mar 1, 2013.

1. WashQuartJesse

WashQuartJesse Member Supporter

Figured I'd share this... It was found in Florida and turned in to the authorities. I don't think it would take much fine-tuning for this thing to pass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Here is another:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

i use to work at a bank and i got counterfeit notes on a weekly basis. 5's, 10's, 20's, 50's and 100's. most of them were copies made with printers. from a distance they looked ok. up close was a different story. some were so bad that even if water dripped on them the ink would run. we had a few of the bleached $5's that had 100's printed on them. we did have to send them in to the feds.

5. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

It needs a lot more fine tuning. You can clearly see two pieces of paper were glued together.

6. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

I recovered a similar note to the one in the OP early last year. The Secret Service gladly took it off my hands, after I heard the penalty if you're caught with such a note - you could be held liable for the note's production if you can't supply sufficient evidence that you recovered it from circulation.

Sure wish I had take a pic of it though, to see if perhaps the serial number was identical to the OP's (counterfeit bills often bear the same serial number). The note I recovered looked fine at first and even second glance, but when I ran my finger over the thing, it felt all wrong. Although I believe it was printed on some sort of fabric, the material didn't have the same crispness (for lack of a better term) as the rag paper the Federal Reserve uses.

7. Raymond Beracha

Raymond Beracha Active Member

There is no way regular people without sophisticated technology can fake a new style 20. The US Secret Service produces a pamphlet called "Know Your Money"

There are exactly 8 points of reference to determine authenticity.

8. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Passed at Wal*Mart, no?

9. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

What do those pin holes spell out?

10. Windchild

Windchild Punic YN, Shahanshah

Just a Hunch...

Counterfiet!

11. treylxapi47

Well I assumed that too, but I was just making sure. Thats what it looks like after several glances to me too, and it obviously makes sense to be COUNTERFEIT

12. treylxapi47

On another side note, I wonder how they made this example and how it was detected back in 1928. I dont think they had the fancy holograms and strips back in the day.

13. wkw427

wkw427 Member

Didn't they use coins more often than they used bills then?

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

There are more than eight, they don't tell you everything.

Draft saved Draft deleted