Counterfeit 1963 $5 bill?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by ToxicFrost, May 14, 2015.

1. ToxicFrost

ToxicFrost New Member

I was parking cars yesterday and got a 1963 $5 bill and I swapped it with a more current bill out of my wallet because it's older than I've ever seen and kind of cool. I looked for info and it looks like they had a red ink mark in 63 instead of green. Unless it's an 83 and part of the date wore off. Wondering if anyone could tell me what's up with this bill.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Looks legit to me.

4. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

The reds are USNs ("United States Notes") while the greens are FRNs ("Federal Reserve Notes").

6. ToxicFrost

ToxicFrost New Member

Ok thanks for the replies everyone. Didn't know they had both colors in the same year. Guess it's only worth $5 but I'll keep it anyway

NOS likes this.
  7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I looked up Henry H. Fowler and he was the United States Secretary of the Treasury (1965 - 1968) But the bill is 1963.. strange

*Edit* - He was Under Secretary To the Treasury Secretary 1961-1964

rzage likes this.
  8. ToxicFrost

ToxicFrost New Member

Paddyman, I found that too but I forgot to mention it! Thought it was very odd but I guess if he was undersecretary that's the reason. Not sure why they'd use his name rather than the treasury secretary of the time though

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. lettow

lettow Senior Member

The Series dates on US paper money do not reflect the dates the notes were printed. Fowler is not the Treasury Secretary on Series 1963 notes. Fowler's signature appears on Series 1963A notes which were printed until after he took office as Secretary in 1965.

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. paddyman98

Great. ToxicFrost just wanted to know if it was a true 1963 and not a 1983.. we just learned a few things :woot:

11. ToxicFrost

ToxicFrost New Member

Cool! I didn't know it wasn't the year printed. Thanks for the info!

12. Bucephalus

Bucephalus Active Member

It's actually Series 1963A. It does not mean that's when it was printed. They don't update the series' date on paper notes as they do with coins. With coins, the date is also not when they were made, but dated for the year they are intended for release/circulation. Hence, late 1941 the US Mint made the nickles 1942P and D, but a few months later we were at war and nickle was much needed for the war effort. So they raided the treasury, looted the silver and used 35% silver for the rest of the year.

paddyman98 likes this.
  13. Dean 295

Dean 295 D.O.M.

Good as any other five dollar bill. Spend it if you want.

14. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I just check for the colored cloth threads in the paper , as I hear that's one thing the counterfeiters can't get , at least the more common counterfeiters who account for most fakes . But I'm sure a bigger ring could just make the paper or steal it , thoughts .

15. paddyman98

I was waiting for someone to state that.. Actually our currency is not printed on paper.. It's printed on Linen and Cotton! Google it! o_O
    Currency material is composed of 25 percent linen and 75 percent cotton. Red and blue synthetic fibers of various lengths are distributed evenly throughout the currency.

rzage likes this.
  16. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Um...of *course* it's printed on paper. It's just printed on good-quality paper made of linen and cotton, rather than the cheap stuff made of woodpulp. Not all paper has to be made out of trees.... :rolleyes:

paddyman98 and rickmp like this.
  17. paddyman98

Numbers.. I totally understand what you are saying. I should of explained it better. It's more of a cloth than a paper because of the materials used. like our jeans.. it's made from the same linen and cotton.. not wood product

18. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

But jeans are made of cotton that's been woven into cloth; money is printed on cotton/linen that's been made into paper. Both cloth and paper are sometimes made out of cotton and/or linen, but cotton cloth and cotton paper are quite different things. The stuff money is printed on is definitely paper, not cloth.

paddyman98 likes this.
  19. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I've done a little research on the subject, and the Gilbert Paper Company made high end paper products, stationary, etc. and when I interviewed some of the factory workers they said they never saw any wood in the factory.

paddyman98 likes this.
  20. paddyman98

;) Sounds good to me! I'm open to learn and to look at this subject in different ways. I looked at the Bureau of Engraving Printing website and it's interesting what they state.. They call it paper also :woot: - Quote "Currency paper is specifically made for the BEP by Crane Paper Company. The ordinary paper that consumers use throughout their everyday life such as newspapers, books, cereal boxes, etc, is primarily made of wood pulp; however, United States currency paper is composed of 75% cotton and 25% linen. This is what gives United States currency its distinct look and feel." Closed quote
    Peace!

21. Derry

Derry Member

Felt is not woven, but considered a cloth. (like on pool tables)

Draft saved Draft deleted