Counterclash on a 1973 D Lincoln Cent?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Zimmer118, Feb 10, 2016.

1. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

What you have are a set of normally-oriented, incuse letters. There are two possible culprits:

1. The coin was struck through a very thin piece of metal that had previously been struck against a planchet, causing the metal to mold itself to the recesses of the die face. The metal flake became dislodged and was struck into the planchet represented by your coin.

2. A very thin flake of metal detached from a newly-struck coin, remained behind in the striking chamber, and was struck into the planchet represented by your coin.

In either case, it's a relatively rare type of error.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Zimmer118

Zimmer118 New Member

Thanks Mike!

Is it so rare that it's worth getting graded?

4. mikediamond

It's probably worth $50 - $75. Not worth getting graded. If graded, there's no telling what sort of label will be affixed to the slab. The most optimistic outcome is "struck through struck fragment". But you might get a completely inaccurate or incomplete description like "struck thru", which won't help at all.

Andrew Snovell likes this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

6. mikediamond

You can get a very similar effect when a large, multi-element dropped filling is struck into a coin. But the well-defined margins of the struck-thru area, and the faint suggestion of striations would most likely eliminate that possibility.

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I was wondering what year it was? Looks like a copper cent? i think the lamination (Mike Diamond) could have not bonded. but, Also looks like a clash. But, because the E Pluribus is Doubled I would call it a Counter Clash.

8. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

My Bad, if (counterclash) it would have left an impression on the obv.)

10. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

Draft saved Draft deleted