Counterclash on a 1973 D Lincoln Cent?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Zimmer118, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Zimmer118

Zimmer118 New Member

Is the subject line the proper term for this type of error? The letters "E. Pluribus" are stamped concave and rotated left 1973 D Counterclash rev.jpg , beneath the original stamping.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Now that's interesting. You are going to get a lot of responses on this one. From PMD - Post Mint Damage to Vise job.

It kind of looks like some type of Struck Through. Maybe a piece from another Cent that created that crater like area then detached. But I'm not positive on my description.

4. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I see no rim indentations suggesting vice job. Looks like a strike through grease but im not sure how the lettering ended up in it

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It can't be a vise job because the lettering would be backwards. Could it be a "Dropped Element" wherein a large piece of a grease-filled die covered the field and letters before falling onto the next planchet?

Chris

Cascade, tommyc03 and paddyman98 like this.
  6. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Very interesting for sure. Might as well get @mikediamond in on it but I think you hit the nail on the head chris

7. deacon2828

deacon2828 Active Member

Looks like a lamination on this one !

8. Mark Oliver

Mark Oliver Active Member

That certainly is cool whatever it is. Nice find Zimmer.

9. Mark Oliver

I looked at the maddieclashes.com glossary and didn't see that term.

10. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Definatly not a lam. Think about it, how did those letters get stuck at that area if it was a lamination. If it's a rotated double strike where is everything else?... I'm 99% confident mike will call this a dropped element strikethrough just like chris said. It's like a dropped letter only much bigger

11. Mark Oliver

Gosh dangit. I'm getting obsessed with this one. It looks like it is sunk in, is that right? It is like a perfect chip from another cent was in the way when it got struck.

12. deacon2828

deacon2828 Active Member

I was wrong !

13. Mark Oliver

Whoa and it sure looks like the "D" in United and the "S" in States have some serif splitting going on.

14. Zimmer118

Zimmer118 New Member

Still researching this. Possibly a Type II Counterclash?

"Type II Counterclashes trace their origin to a stray piece of hard metal that invades the striking chamber.die fragment, a piece of the collar, a piece of hardware like a bolt or washer, a broken-off machine part, or just about anything else one can imagine." (http://www.error-ref.com/counterclash-type-ii/)

15. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

Even a semi-smart vice operator could figure out how to avoid rim issues - jess sayin'...

16. Evan8

I work with vices everyday in my job. I've even squeezed some lincolns together myself, for fun that is. Now i would be very interested in seeing cents that you yourself have squeezed in a vice that show no signs of rim indentations, you know, to further my education in vices:)

However i do realize rim indentations arent the only sign of a vice job, but it is the first thing i look for when a coin is suspect of such a practice.

17. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

That may be. but have you ever had occasion to notice Article 11 the Treaty of Tripoli?
    Sorry pal, I am not a coin squeezer. But as a thought exercise to expand your mind consider compressing only coin parts as opposed to entire coins.

18. Evan8

Ah, well i believe you are referring to a thread that is now locked. But next time youre in Colorado, let me know. We can go have a drink over the subject:)

However that doesnt pertain to the topic of this thread. Either way OP's coin wasnt squeezed with a vice.

19. Evan8

Consider my mind expanded. Very interesting thought.

20. Zimmer118

Zimmer118 New Member

The "error" concave image is below the final stamp. No way to achieve this in a vise.

21. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It would be recessed if it was the result of a Dropped Element. If it was a "chip" from another coin, the letters would be backwards
    What would prevent someone from reaming off the entire rim of a coin from obverse to reverse to prevent damage to the rim on the other coin used in a vise job?

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted