Couldn't resist getting a Spartan coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pavlos, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

It was not my plan to get this coin anytime soon in my collection, but the price was very good for such a scarce coin in very good condition, well, a very good strike (especially the obverse), unfortunately it has a quite bad crack.
    [​IMG]
    Lakonia, Lakedaimon (Sparta) triobol (Ca. 90–60/50 B.C.)
    Obverse:
    Laureate head of Herakles right.
    Reverse: Amphora; caps of the Dioskouroi flanking, Λ-A across central field, A monogram to lower left, MO to lower right; all within wreath.
    1.96g.

in B.C. 192, Sparta joined the Achaean League after the defeat of Nabis, it seems to have struck both Federal and autonomous silver coins. The earliest of these small silver issues were hemidrachms dated to circa 191-146 B.C. They were struck while Sparta was a reluctant member of the Achaean League and were made in small quantities using dies engraved in fine style. Somewhat larger issues of hemidrachms and triobols were produced from the 90s through the 50s B.C.

After the Roman conquest of Greece in 146 B.C., the Spartans continued their way of life, and the city became a tourist attraction for the Roman elite who came to observe exotic Spartan customs. According to Byzantine sources, parts of Laconia remained pagan until well into the 10th century A.D. Doric-speaking populations survive today in Tsakonia.

Don't forget to share your coins from Sparta!

Does anyone have any idea if the crack could have been created during striking of this coin, or afterwards?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    eparch, galba68, NLL and 18 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I have a very "challenged" triobol.

[​IMG]
    LACONIA, Lakedaimon (Sparta)
    80-50 BCE
    AR triobol, 2.29 gm
    Obv: Head of Herakles right
    Rev: Amphora; to each side, caps of the Dioscuri; all within laurel wreath
    Ref: BCD Peloponnesos 868

Did anyone here pick up that very nice example in Triton? It went for a surprisingly low hammer. Someone got a good deal-- wish it had been me! :)

galba68, NLL, Andres2 and 13 others like this.
  4. Pavlos

Interesting that we have the same type with the same monograms, I saw that there are quite some variations in the monograms on these coins. Could the "A - MO" type be less scarce then the others or is this pure coincidence?

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

This coin was a whim of a purchase and I didn't put much thought into it other than "Sparta!" :D. A quick review of ACsearch ("Sparta triobol amphora") shows three out of fifty-six coins have this magistrate. I didn't make a list of all the different monograms/magistrates so I don't know if that how the number of A-MO compares to others but that information is probably out there somewhere.

Of course I'd love to have one of the royal issues (wouldn't we all?) but that is unlikely to ever happen. https://coinweek.com/ancient-coins/ancient-spartan-coins/

galba68 and Pavlos like this.
  6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice Spartan! I’d love to have one of these silver issues, but for now, I’m glad I have my lone bronze to post whenever the opportunity arises. :D

[​IMG]
    LAKONIA, Lakedaimon (Sparta)
    AE. 5.7g, 20.3mm. C. Julius Eurycles as hegemon, circa 31-7 BC. RPC 1103; BMC 63. O: Head of Zeus right. R: Club; Λ-A/EΠI EY/PY-K(ΛE)/O-Σ in four lines across field; all within wreath.

C. Julius Eurycles was a Spartan commander whose father had been put to death by Mark Antony. When Eurycles fought at the Battle of Actium in support of Octavian, it’s said he pursued a fleeing Antony more fervently than any others and that his ship drew close enough to yell taunts at him.

Eurycles was subsequently made ruler of Sparta, which remained a free and autonomous city, with its territories enlarged at the expense of cities that had not supported Octavian.

galba68, NLL, Marsyas Mike and 10 others like this.
  7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I was never big on the Spartans. But in the last couple of weeks I have started playing Assassin's Creed: Odyssey which is set in ancient Greece and features Spartans. I've also been listening to Dan Carlin's podcast called "King of Kings" which is currently discussing the Persian's attack on Greece. I'm currently at the point where they are landing at Marathon. Needless to say, I am getting more and more interested in the Spartans. I was just wondering this morning if they had coins. Now I know!

Thanks for posting!

Theodosius and Pavlos like this.
  8. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Same here. Playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey recently. Level 46 now. Surely getting interested in Sparta coins. Will need to do some research.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  9. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Only just made it to 24 myself. I'm trying to clear every area before doing any main quests. I just spent the afternoon running around Athens :D

Theodosius likes this.
  10. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Was doing the same here. Visiting Acropolis and climbed up the giant Athena statue are so fun. Going to fight Cyclops and Minotaur soon. :happy:

Theodosius likes this.
  11. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Interesting post - I thought Sparta only used giant chunks of iron for currency. I'm learning stuff every day.

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The coins come from the time after Sparta was defeated in the Laconian war of 195 AD and was forced to join the Achaean League. You will find coins of the same major type from other cities but the Spartan ones have the twin Dioscuri hats and and a Lambda somewhere. Mine is slightly different. The iron spits were from the Classical period when Sparta ruled the Greek world.
    g51415bb2957.jpg

Note that Philip II and Alexander the Great did not try to conquer Sparta. It took a coalition of powers including Rome to subdue them.

galba68, NLL, Bing and 3 others like this.
  13. Pavlos

The coin I acquired, and also @TIF coin is from after the Achaean League and also a couple of decades after the Roman occupation. I am surprised that at 90-50 BC, Sparta who barely made silver coins in the past was allowed to make autonomous silver coinage under Roman occupation. It would make more sense if victoriati and denarii were used as currency? Or am I thinking wrong in that.

Do you or anyone have any idea why the Romans let the Spartans and also other cities continue to mint silver coinage using Greek standards, rather then let them use/mint victoriati and denarii? Corcyra for example started to mint and use victoriati in 229 BC already.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted