Couldn't help posting this beauty again . . .

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Rexford, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Rexford

Rexford Well-Known Member

The only ancient coin I own:

ROMAN IMPERIAL. Diocletian (Emperor, 284-305 AD). Struck circa 294-295 AD. AR Argenteus. NGC Ch. MS✭ (Choice Mint State ✭) Strike 5/5 Surface 5/5. Sescia mint. 2.64gm. DIOCLETI ANVS AVG. Laureate bust right / VIRTUS MILITUM. The four tetrarchs sacrificing over tripod before camp enclosure with eight turrets; pellet at center of archway. RIC 32a.
    3990765-003~3.jpg

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    galba68, Jay GT4, Obone and 39 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Beautiful

Rexford likes this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

That is a beauty @Rexford. Love the toning. But why is this the only Ancient you own? C'mon, man, you know you want more.

Cucumbor, RAGNAROK and Rexford like this.
  5. Oldrdawg

Oldrdawg Active Member

Outside my lane of collecting but I know a stunning coin when I see it . . .

Rexford likes this.
  6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

A lovely coin

Rexford likes this.
  7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

WOW!!

That is the visual definition of a coin with incredible eye-appeal that pops!! GORGEOUS!!!

Rexford and coinsareus10 like this.
  8. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

That is a nice coin! Don't think I have ever seen toning like that on a Roman bronze.

You definitely need more ancients. :)

John

RAGNAROK and Rexford like this.
  9. Bing

It's silver. An AR Argenteus

Rexford likes this.
  10. GerardV

GerardV Well-Known Member

@Rexford - oh boy, you can't say things like that here...it's like a crazy cult here, they will suck you in and make you unrecognizable to your family, pets and your coin collecting friends.

Before you know it, you'll be sitting under a bright halogen lamp with three different power loupes trying to figure out if there is an INV, AVG or some other letter combination at the end of the legend on a worn Roman coin. All the while berating yourself for not being able to walk away until it's determined to certainty whether the coin is a Constantius I, or II, or a Contans or a Constantine.

Meanwhile, the dogs are scared to come into the room because you're prone to sudden outbursts of anger, or sudden outbursts of profanity that leave them scurrying for safety under the bed in your room.

....and that's the fun part!

:banghead:

11. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Sounds like a fun time to me. The only thing better is scouring dozens of reference books looking for examples of your coin.

Jay GT4, ominus1, GerardV and 2 others like this.
  12. Bing

+1

GerardV and Rexford like this.
  13. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Ok duh!

I should read the attribution more carefully. I plead distraction by the pretty colors.

:)

14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

It is a lovely coin. Just a couple things:
    The mint is Siscia (not Sescia). The catalog reference is correct at RIC 32a but it might be good to note that this is RIC volume VI page 459 since coins of Diocletian also occur in volume V and numbering starts over for each mint city.

The dot in the archway is not a part of the design but is a center point for a compass used to lay out the border of dots. Some dies will show this more than others and worn dies (yours are quite fresh) will often lose it as well. Catalogs do not make the distinction but some dealers hype it trying to get a higher price for the coin which is perfectly normal. Most coin designs have something (like the portrait) in the center so the dot gets erased but your coin has that arch in the middle and nothing erased the layout dot.

I am a little surprised NGC did not mention the flan crack. It detracts very little but should have been noted. The coin was struck forcefully which gave you all that wonderful detail. It also gave you that little crack. It is really just about as nice as you could hope to find.

15. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Absolutely fantastic argenteus! The strike is incredible and the toning quite lovely.

Rexford likes this.
  16. Bing

Not to worry. The toning is so beautiful it can be distracting!

17. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

Since this is reportedly his only ancient this seems to be a case where a picture motivated a sale. I see Rexford is not responding to comments. Okay. But in the interests of giving credit where credit is due I would like to know about the photographer:

Did you take these pics, Rexford? Or were these from the seller? If the seller, any idea who did the photos? or how? Who was the vendor?

Inquiring minds want to know.

18. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Excellent coin. Probably the best argenteus I have ever seen (and I don't own any).

Rexford likes this.
  19. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Welcome to the forum, Rexford! So what direction would like to go with your collection? Diocletian only? Late Roman? Perhaps an eclectic sampling of ancient kingdoms—Imperial Rome being the first. ;)

GerardV and Rexford like this.
  20. Rexford

Rexford Well-Known Member

Sorry for not responding, just been a little busy at work etc. I'll try to answer all the questions here. The photographer of this piece was Doug Plasencia at NGC. I work at Atlas Numismatics and bought the coin from them after a couple of months of gawking at it and saving up my money. I don't really plan on becoming an "ancient collector" so to speak because I'm not really a collector of any particular type or location in general. I collect coins from all over - my only requirement is that I love the way the coin looks. I have my eyes on a Byzantine piece right now as well, but it's a little out of my price range at the moment. The only drawback is that I have a limited budget, which means I have to be very sure that whatever I'm getting is at the top of its class.

21. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Uhm, let's trade. You can have my crummy Galerius version, and I can have your deliciously toned and perfect Diocletian version. What do you say?

argenteus (1).jpg
    GALERIUS as Caesar, AD 293-305.
    AR Argenteus, 21mm, 2.7g, 12h; Rome, c. 294.
    Obv: MAXIMIANVS CAES; Laureate head right.
    Rev: VIRTVS MILITVM; The tetrarchs sacrificing over tripod before city enclosure with six turrets.
    Reference: RIC VI Rome 29b, p. 353, r2.

One small correction @Rexford , you don't have to have coins at the top of their class. It is a personal choice, obviously, but nothing says you can't enjoy a few VF or XF coins for the price of one deep strike and colorfully toned AU coin that might cost you an arm and a leg. You said your low budget is an issue, so just know you don't have to sacrifice to indulge in ancients. It's up to you.

Draft saved Draft deleted