Couldn't buy them all, so.....

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Morgandude11, May 5, 2016.

1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

The new Daniel Carr overstrike fantasy tokens are out. Since there are about $750 worth of his tokens in this go-round, I had to limit myself to only two of them. So these are the ones I ordered (seller's pictures):
    1915s.jpg 1922d.jpg

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Keep your head down Dave........ devil.gif

Rick Stachowski and Morgandude11 like this.
  4. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Yea cool:yack: How much above melt did that cost???? NVM
    Probably best that u don't share the purchase price....

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

6. heavycam.monstervam

Well, PT Barnum was right.......

7. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Unknown.jpg

8. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

160 X face..:D

9. heavycam.monstervam

Do they have any 1930? 1931? or 1932??
    Kachorkle

10. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

How about $20 Saints???..:woot:

11. Good choices Dave. Lots of options available. I went for the 22s. TC

Morgandude11 likes this.
  12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

13. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

Cool. I'm still trying to decide whether or not I want to buy any of these. His fantasy overstrike coins seem to hold value pretty well. Especially when they are from a coin with a cool design. I did get the 2016 1.5oz Owl that went on sale today though before they sold out. (Mintage 125)
    Funny thing about the dimes, the mint said that they weren't able to get the full bands on the rev of the 2016 W gold because of modern minting techniques. Doesn't look like Mr. Carr had any trouble with it.

JustMyType and Paul M. like this.
  14. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I wish I had gotten word before the owl sold out. :(

I'm considering purchasing 2x of all the high-grade ones and selling off the duplicates after getting them certified. I don't know if I can break even doing that, but, given the track record of his pieces selling at well over issue price after he stops producing them, I think it could offset the cost a bit, at least. In any case, I think I'd be unlikely to lose out over just buying 1 set.

Now, if I could just find the 64-D Peace dollar for under $300.... ;)

15. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

While they are cool I just do not have a real strong inclination to pick any of these up.

Cudo's to those that do.

joecoincollect likes this.
  16. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

I ordered high-grade versions of the 1915 dime & quarter. And all 3 Walker dates. And the 2016 Octagon Owl.

If these appreciate, that's a nice bonus. But it doesn't matter... I buy because I like 'em for my collection.

It wasn't just luck that I got these on Day 1: At least twice a day every day for the past 3 months I checked Dan Carr's website for new releases.

Coincidentally, I was pleasantly surprised to see he has a table at the Denver Coin Expo. If you've never seen the Owl...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Few questions. What does over strike mean here? I thought it was when a foreign coin is struck over by a different or the same country. Or is it like a date is repunched over another? But with these medals, was an actual walker used and then struck over with his own die? Last question: who is clark grubber? The designer?

18. Paul M.

The dime, quarter, and half are actually struck on authentic coins of the same series. The medals are not overstruck.

Clark Gruber & Co was a private mint that was essentially the predecessor of the Denver mint. Dan Carr is now using the name as one of his official DBAs, and putting it on these excellent medals.

19. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

20. Paul M.

DBA = Doing Business As. It's a thing you have to register to do business under a name not your own as a sole proprietor or a name other than your official business name for a corporation or partnership.

21. JustMyType

JustMyType New Member

Yeah, the difference is Daniel Carr cares about his craft and has real talent. The people at the US Mint are just there to make money.

Draft saved Draft deleted