Could use your opinion.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GUNNER63736, Jun 7, 2020.

1. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

Being the old poot I am, just thought I would ask you folks for your opinion. Being on Social Security, my coin collecting budget is rather low. Not complaining. I am very blessed. I like the newer 1992-s thru 2020-s silver proof coins and enjoy purchasing one now and then, among other silver circulated coins. Here is my question. Should I purchase the certified coins or raw on the new stuff? Can't afford to waste money. I won't live long enough for them to go up greatly in value but the grandkids probably will. LOL. Right now, I just enjoy them. Boy, I sure hope I haven't asked this before.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

I too love the the S mint silver. I bought some MS70 Graded quarters which weren't too expensive.
    One question is do the Grand kids collect?.....if not, I would go with graded so after you pass, they will know it's something special and not dump them in a coinstar.
    second, do they know how to handle them without damaging them, a graded coin will stay pristine for them.

spirityoda and Xtdave154 like this.
  4. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I decided back in the 80's that buying Mint collectibles was not the way to go.
    So I got rid of all of that material.
    But I have found that 80's proof sets are great gifts when you travel overseas and visit families.
    I've also found out that I can buy them now for less than the original issue price.

If you enjoy the modern proof coins, do it.
    I'm 78 and buy coins for my personal pleasure.
    And my wife puts up with that since she understands that they have value, albeit generally less than the purchase price.
    They are sort of a lousy savings plan.
    But it beats her desire to travel which results in great memories but doesn't help with the future.

You sound like you've got your retirement well under control.
    Allow yourself a bit of fun along the way.

5. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

I was just looking at silver proofs on eBay. They are averaging about $6 ea. on ebay ungraded. Saw where you can buy a set (5) in the holder for $26.95 free shipping. that's not graded but protected.

6. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Like you, I'm collecting SS and have a part time job so my budget is limited. Personally, I prefer buying silver proof sets in the original US Mint packaging. In the past the only slabbed silver coins I've bought in TPG holders are some Proof SAE's and modern commemoratives. 1960-64 silver proof sets can still be had for $20-25.
    I don't buy slabbed silver proofs anymore because most of the newer sets look to be at least Pf. 69's. IMO the price between 69 and 70 is too high and I wonder how much longer people will think the difference is worth it.

Draft saved Draft deleted