Could use some help with Tyche/River-God Ae type

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Brian Bucklan, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

I'm hoping someone can put me out of my misery and help me identify this coin. I put it away years ago because I couldn't figure it out and just recently came across it once again. Here it is:

Ae (13mm, 2.0gms)

Obv: Tyche seated on rocks with river-god below, star in left field and crescent over leaping ram (or maybe lion) in right field; inscription around ... maybe, tough to tell
    Rev: Tyche walking left holding wreath, altar(?) to left
    Unknown Tyche Pyramos Nike.jpg

rrdenarius, Bing, Ryro and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Perhaps Victory/Nike on the reverse? She appears to have wings.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    7Calbrey and rrdenarius like this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

What are the dimensions? It looks very similar to the anonymous coinage from Antioch issued under Maximinus II; however, I can't seem to find a match.

7Calbrey and DonnaML like this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I was going to say the same thing as @Bing - but I can't make out a legend on the obverse also I don't know if any of the Maximinus' pagan city types feature Nike/Victory.

DonnaML likes this.
  6. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

It's 13mm and 2.0gms which isn't that far off the norm for those types. There was a thread a few days ago about the persecution issues and that's what got me to take a second look at this coin.

It may be an unpublished type of these struck on a small flan which obfuscates the legend but the main reason I don't necessarily believe that is the star, crescent and ram on the obverse which don't seem to fit it at all.

DonnaML likes this.
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I don't see the fabric as matching the Anonymous Pagans but I don't have an ID for you either.

Brian Bucklan and DonnaML like this.
  8. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

Crescent, star, ram(Aries) and Tyche all point to Nisbis, Mesopotamia but I have not found a similar example.

DonnaML likes this.
  9. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I agree with Bing and ACT. Here's a similar coin which was struck under Maximinus II. Victory is there, bur Jupiter seated instead of Tyche. We may expect so many hidden varieties from this series.

MaxJupi.JPG MaxiVic.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted