Could this be fake? Slabbed 1896-0 Morgan

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by NumisRookie, Nov 30, 2015.

1. NumisRookie

NumisRookie Active Member

Selling for $800. I would buy it right now but hell it makes me nervous. The guy says that he bought it from a coin shop for $1,400 a couple years ago because NGC didn't notice some damage on the coin. That alone makes me think it's a scam.

These are the pictures from the listing.
    Screenshot_2015-11-30-17-05-05.png Screenshot_2015-11-30-17-05-33.png Screenshot_2015-11-30-17-05-52.png Screenshot_2015-11-30-17-06-24.png

I already looked it up and the coin checks out on pcgs website.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NumisRookie

This is the text from the add:

or sale is one of my precious coins. This is an 1896-O Morgan Dollar, meaning it was made by the New Orleans mint in 1896. The New Orleans mint issued some 4.9 million Morgan Silver Dollars in 1896. The mint mark is on the reverse directly below the wreath. This coin in mint condition can be worth as much as a low end Ferrari - you can see PCGS has this coin valued at over $2,000. However, due to some wear they may of missed (make sure you look at the high-resolution images I have available) I obtained this coin for just under $1,400 eight months ago. I purchased the coin from a store called Chaparral Coin in Murrieta, California. They deal in antique Morgan Dollars as well as gold, platinum and silver bullion.

This is one of my favorite coins in my collection and it will be hard to see it go. This coin is priced so low it hurts me, so it won't be around for long. Contact me before someone else snatches it up!

I have taken some pictures with the flash on, and some with the flash off to give you the most accurate depiction of the coin possible.

High-resolution images of the coin (highly recommended that you view them): http://imgur.com/a/J0Jo6#0

All that is left is for you to e-mail me and schedule a time you can come and see the coin. It is truly a beautiful coin indeed.

Thank you for reading my advertisement, have a great day and I sincerely hope to hear from you soon!

TEXTS OR EMAILS ONLY PLEASE

Kind Regards,
    Rich

PCGS Certificate / Authenticity Verification: http://www.pcgs.com/cert/28716359

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Of course NGC didn't notice the damage, they didn't grade it.

If it's too good to be true . . .

NumisRookie likes this.
  5. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

Well it is questionable in my opinion. because of the number of processes that it takes to get to the working die there should be different luster on the devices and the fields, if you google pcgs fundamentals of counterfeit detection there should be 2 articles part one and part two that was relased by pcgs,

Amos 811 likes this.
  6. NumisRookie

Yep

7. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

So that's what a cauliflower ear looks like.

8. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Looks completely fake to me.

9. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

PCGS not noticing damage? Yeah right!

brandon spiegel and NumisRookie like this.
  10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

It was on ebay a few months back as well....

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1896-morgan-dollar-pcgs-grade-ms61-1758033109

You're wise to ask before you buy, but please also understand there's a great risk in chasing after these person-to-person offerings hoping for that almighty deal. If unable to positively identify fakes/altered coins on your own, it's best to wait until you can. 'Tis better to be safe than sorry.

Let's just say run, not walk, away from this one, okay?

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'd pass!

Chris

12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

The PCGS number is the only thing that checks out about this deal. No dealer would let a $2,000 coin go for $1,400 in the first place if they knew what they were doing. And no legitimate seller would discount that another 40 percent EIGHT MONTHS LATER.

And this seller is trying way too hard to sound credible.

It may not be fake. If it's not, I suspect that it is stolen merchandise.

Stay away is my advice.

Endeavor and NumisRookie like this.
  13. BooksB4Coins

That's simply not true; it happens all the time. The $2000+ number is PCGS guide, and legitimate knowledgeable dealers sell at prices well away from their list each and every day.

The possibility of buying stolen merchandise is an unfortunate reality, but it's not wise to simply assume the worst based upon conjecture. However, the point is moot as in the case, the "coin" should tell a potential buyer all he needs to know.

14. NumisRookie

That's the plan. I didn't even bothering reaching out to him before I consulted with some pros. I'm pretty sure you could walk into any coin shop and get $1000 for an authentic one. On eBay they are selling from $1,400 to $1,700. That's an easy 30% profit.

15. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

16. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

In the photos of the reverse, I see a rim ding by the star to the right of ONE. The heritage photo doesn't show it.

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I would never touch a MS-61 coin........too ugly and baggy. Better to get a nice high AU coin. Shoot, dang that's an ugly specimen.......

Omegaraptor likes this.
  18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Without the holder......

19. BooksB4Coins

That's because they're obviously not the same, and I don't believe the gentleman was even remotely suggesting they could be. One doesn't even need to try to match marks on this one; it's just bad, bad, bad every which way you look at it.

20. NumisRookie

Looking at both coins I can see that it is obviously a fake. The one that I posted has a big mark on the nose, the tail lines aren't visible above the arrows on the reverse and many other things. Definitely trying to scam people.

21. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted