Could this be a proof ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mojavedave, May 12, 2017.

1. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

The picture does not show the brilliance of this coin. I know that it is worn, but it could be a circulated proof. I have other brilliant un-circulated W/L halfs, but nothing like this one. Maybe it was whizzed ? DSCF3044.JPG DSCF3046.JPG DSCF3045.JPG DSCF3047.JPG

LaCointessa likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I don't see any Walker proofs listed for 1934. But I have been wrong before.

SchwaVB57 likes this.
  4. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

@Mojavedave
    Your post makes me realize that I can no longer ignore my ignorance about proofs. By the end of the weekend, I should finally have an understanding about what they are, why they exist and how to tell which is a proof and which is not. Also, I will study about business strikes.
    Thanks, and your coin is pretty.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

All proof listings for Walkers start in 1936. Might be an early business strike for 34!

6. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

...or more likely an intentionally polished one. Nowhere near enough detail to be anything else. And I can see that even from these blurry pics.

7. SchwaVB57

Your eyes are better than mine, I agree the pictures are blurry. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt with the coin in hand.

8. V. Kurt Bellman

I highly doubt that, but both my eyes' lenses now have serial numbers, if you catch my drift.

9. SchwaVB57

I needed glasses years ago, but too stubborn and cheap to get them. I buy $5.00 cheaters that are Coke bottle thick.

10. V. Kurt Bellman

Cataract surgery. "I'm gonna cut your eye open, pluck out your lens and drop a new one in." What could possibly go wrong? ;)

gronnh20 likes this.
  11. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

No proof Walking Liberty Halves for 1934, so no... not a proof.

sambyrd44, Yankee42 and Insider like this.
  12. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

no chance a proof

Insider likes this.
  14. SchwaVB57

Something could, but when done most people see much better. Good Luck and hopefully the cutting is successful.

LaCointessa likes this.
  15. LaCointessa

Right, Mr. Bellman! And "I'm gonna put a "Clockwork Orange" kinda contraption in your eye so you can't close it and make sure you're awake while I come at your eye ball with this cutting tool." Hmmmm. Okydoky!

SchwaVB57 likes this.
  16. V. Kurt Bellman

I see you've been there. And you can shorten it to "Kurt". I also answer to all kinds of stuff. I honestly can't say I remember anything from Eye #1, but I do remember what you said from Eye #2, but somehow I didn't care.

17. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Only Liberty Walker proofs were '36 through '42. The four I have are among my favorites. Helluva coin in proof!

18. LaCointessa

Actually, Kurt (thank you), I haven't been there yet; but, I'm way overdue. I have accompanied a couple of family members to get their eyes done. I would love to be able to see and not use glasses. One day I will have it done. Actually, the day I realized I no longer had perfect vision I was looking at some coins - cents - and for the life of me I could not read the date. I couldn't believe it. I thought maybe I had a brain tumor. It never dawned on me that, (oh, the horror!), I was getting old(er) and so were my eyes!

SchwaVB57 likes this.
  19. V. Kurt Bellman

I don't know whether I've ever had a brain tumor per se, but I have had a brain hemorrhage. I really should write a book about that experience. Freakiest stuff I've ever experienced. My brain actually stopped SEEING my right arm, but it was still there.

20. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

actually similar to when I got a detached retina in my right eye.

Held my finger next to my nose and couldn't see it.

surgery the next day.

21. LaCointessa

Wow! I would read that book you describe. When I couldn't see the dates from one day to the next (literally over night my vision changed) I was thinking maybe I had something like Bette Davis in "Dark Victory."

Draft saved Draft deleted