Could This be a British Proof Penny??nny

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Numismike, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Numismike

Numismike Member

I have this 1940 British penny in excellent condition. How do you tell if a British penny is a proof coin? IMG_20141217_160337.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numismike

Numismike Member

4. Numismike

Numismike Member

5. Numismike

Numismike Member

6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

No not proof.
    Proofs were only issued in 1937,1950,1951 and 1952(unique)

I would say the coin pictured is EF.

In the UK Proof is not a grade or condition but a process of minting.
    Proof coins have been struck using specially prepared dies and blanks, and the minting process has been carried out usually twice with extra pressure to ensure the die is filled. Normally the fields are highly polished.

afantiques likes this.
  7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

8. Numismike

Numismike Member

Thanks so much

9. Numismike

Numismike Member

Its just confising me that NGC has a price for the 1940 proof at $1800

10. daveydempsey

The highest grade 1940 Penny in the UK is "Uncirculated" and today`s catalog value is £25, approx $39.
    Yours in EF is £8 approx $12.45

11. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I think Krause priceguide shows "proof like" years for some of their series. I'm not sure which, but I remember seeing these. Most likely it's not a proof, but maybe it came from an early state die (which is how their proof like coins came to being?). It does seem to have very distinct features, especially the head. Even xfs and higher coins I've seen don't look that nice. But what do I know

12. daveydempsey

Krause does show "Proof" issues for just about every Penny struck in the 1930`s & 40s but it is a mistake, any of the British coin books, Spink, Coin World,Coin News, Coin Yearbook only show the ones I mentioned earlier 1937,1950,1951
    Royal Mint did not issue Proof Like either, this coin is dated 1940 we were at war, no time for issuing coins for collectors.
    It is EF.
    When my camera has charged I will show an EF and a Proof from my collection..............late4r.

afantiques likes this.
  13. daveydempsey

Here is an example or two.

The 1951 Penny is EF standard strike.
    002-horz.jpg

1950 Penny also EF struck in Proof.

005-horz.jpg

14. joecoincollect

wow great pics. The 1951 has a mintage, of what, 540k or something? That's a great coin and year. At first I couldn't see that much of a difference, mostly after looking at the fields of the coins. But when you look at the head and hair details, you really see the proof quality. I could imagine though beginning collectors not noticing the difference.

15. wyvern

wyvern Active Member

1950 PROOF MINTAGE 17,513---1951 NON PROOF 120,000---SCARCE COINS and vey nice

daveydempsey likes this.
  16. joecoincollect

I think the 1950 business strike is 540k though, right? That's pretty nice too

17. Peter

Peter Junior Member

No the 1950 business strike was 240k.
    They were only issued to British colonies.
    They are not rare as dealers quickly realized this and were quickly taken out of circulation.
    The 1950 is infact harder to get uncirculated as dealers didn't realize straight away.
    They were vastly overpriced in the 60's and early 70's and haven't proved a good investment.

daveydempsey likes this.
  18. joecoincollect

Oh crap, you are right. I've thought all along it was 540. I'm just looking at my Krause book now. Sorry about that

19. joecoincollect

I picked up the 1950 large penny in Vf/xf in a dealers raw world coins he sells by the pound. I never knew these coins had such appealing mintages, and apparently not a lot of others do either as it was overlooked for sometime. My favorite coins are probably world coins in the 1900s, both first and second halves, base metal and silver. I think the demand is so low and good deals abound. Low mintages are widespread as we'll.

20. jimjamtwo

jimjamtwo New Member

As I collect 'small head' George V pennies, I'm currently researching this question, and the impression I've gained so far is that bronze proof pennies were produced by the Royal Mint nearly every year, but in very small quantities. I don't think that these were placed on the market; they were - and are still - pretty expensive.

For the reign of George V, Kosinki's Coins of Great Britain, 1901-2014, lists proofs for every year from 1926 to 1936 inclusive. The existence of these coins can be confirmed from auction sales. A 1936 proof penny graded by PCGS was sold by Stack's & Bowers last year (2014) for $1645, for example.

http://www.stacksbowers.com/browseauctions/lotdetail.aspx?AuctionID=6014&Lot=1070

Stack's & Bowers also sold a 1931 proof penny for a bit over $1000 this January last.

http://www.stacksbowers.com/archivedetail.aspx?productid=2990066

There were several years in the last two reigns for which proof pennies were produced in relatively largely numbers for a mass market; fortunately, these are still quite affordable and can be picked up quite easily on Ebay.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted