Could this be a 1999 D / DDO Lincoln cent ?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Coin Addict 2018, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Hi guys . I believe that I may have stumbled across a 1999 D DDO Lincoln cent . And I was wondering if anyone can tell me if they have ever seen one of these before ? I was about to discard it until I noticed the sneaky doubling in the letters GOD and what appears to be doubling Infront of Lincoln's EYE and hisTIE . There's also some form of strange dots and lines arranged on his jacket lapel that I think could possible be a mint error from the way that they are positioned ...

IMG_20180715_043550.jpg IMG_20180715_043400.jpg IMG_20180715_043432.jpg IMG_20180715_043412.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Ejection doubling.

4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

What you see in "God" is mechanical doubling. For example , notice the top of the G, the line you see divides it into half the width normally there. A real DD will increase the dimension ( width) as it is an addition . Mechanical doubling of any kind will decrease the dimension of the RAISED portion. MD will produce a flattened area which may appear to increase the dimension, so one has to check carefully. Jim

5. Thanks guys ... And I too almost just dismissed it as well as MD as well but what about the very distinct doubling right Infront of Lincoln's eye ?

6. desertgem

If the eyelid was also affected , it might be something but I do not see anything. Jim

7. Wait now are we both looking at the same pictures or are you pulling my leg here ... you said you don't see anything ???

8. Here's a better picture if you don't see anything ...
    IMG_20180715_043415.jpg

9. Wheatmaster101

Wheatmaster101 U.S. Cent Collector

I don't see anything either.

10. desertgem

I don't see anything abnormal. Could you use photoscape ( free app) to put in arrows or a line.

11. Thanks but it's ok ... If you see nothing there then there's probably nothing there and Its probably just my imagination .

12. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Not seeing anything with the eye either, Plating blisters plague these pre 2000 cents.

13. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Yup.
    I hate to say it, but just like your other threads too.

14. And I hate to say it Clawcoins but it seems like some of the members here are more focused on showing their disapproval of other members coins rather then actually focusing on the actual coins shown but hey I'm sure that I'm not the first member to ever notice this ... LOL

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    yartiques and Cheech9712 like this.
  15. Wheatmaster101

We aren't focused on "disapproving" of anyone's coins. We are focused on telling the truth...

16. Well from some of these smart responses thats more then likely not so Wheats but I guess I'll allow you to speak for clawncoins . Since I was referring to his response and not yours . And there's really no need for you to jump to his defense I hope .

17. Wheatmaster101

Your statement did seem to target me, though, as I was also one who "disapproved" of your coin.

18. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Can't we all just get along. Rodney esq.

19. Gunner1944

Gunner1944 Active Member

These folks here have more knowledge than I, and most of us new members could ever hope to have. I have submitted lots of items, and they have responded with intelligent and knowledgeable answers. A lot of times it was not the answer that I was looking for, but they were right in their responses. take no offense to this, as it is not meant as criticism. These folks are good at what they do.

coinsareus10 likes this.
  20. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Fred Said:

Truth.jpg

21. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Straight answer: there is a lump in front of his eye, above the tie and a linear line of sorts on the lapel. These are all very common manifestations of plating blisters on copper plated zinc cents. So when you get a response "nothing abnormal" this is common for this type coin. Remember what you are working with...crappy zincolns!. And, in their defense, and mine...they have seen hundreds of this type of post. Don't take it personally if you get less than warm and fuzzy responses.

CT Forum members strive for posting accurate information, not disapprove of a posters' coin. The coin posted, when accompanied by decent pictures, speaks for itself, but sometimes the newer members espouse incorrect thinking, and in our honest opinions, we offer corrections.

We also reserve the right to comment on attitudes submitted by posters. When they start to go off the deep end we will say something. Oftentimes, calmer members help to defuse tempers that get out of control...Spark

Draft saved Draft deleted