Could this be a 1964 SMS

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-Rams, Apr 6, 2020.

1. C-Rams

C-Rams New Member

I know the images may not be the best but it is really what i have to work with right now so if anyone could see any indicators of whether or not this could be a 64' SMS or provide any insight, i would appreciate it. Thank you in advance for those who try to check this posting out and reply with helpful comments.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The images are good enough to say it is not an SMS. It's not even close.

5. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

The 1964 SMS coins were found in the estate of a former mint director 25 years after the were minted. They were then sold to a major dealer in the 90s. Unless you have ties to the mint directors family or someone that worked at the mint in 1964, or bought it at a major auction, you don't have one. Sorry for the bad news.

I'm willing to bet you saw something about the 64 SMS on a "Get Rich From Pocket change" YouTube video. It's a darn shame those guys never tell you the whole story. Youre chances of finding this stuff are about the same as finding a rare corvette or Ferrari in a used car lot. These YouTube hacks will say anything to get clicks.

If you're interested in learning about coins, stick around and read the posts. Some members might be a little rough around the edges, but almost all are willing to share their extensive knowledge with new collectors.

6. Long Beard

Long Beard Well-Known Member

That would be the former Mint Director Ava Adams' estate. While these are known to exist (extremely rare) despite never being issued, I have to agree with Oldhoopster.

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

She is rumored to have appropriated two 1964-D Peace dollars. One, a gift to LBJ, and the other hidden in a safe deposit box controlled by a descendant.

8. bud250r

bud250r Active Member

very interesting.
    I’d like to learn more about this.
    Anyone know more about this?

9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

There are stories online, it's all rumor, conjecture, unproven.
    Just look up 1964 Peace Dollar and read some of the articles.

10. Hebron8654

Hebron8654 New Member

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

12. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Compare your coin to a real SMS. It's clear your coin is a business strike. 1967SMStoner.jpg 1967SMStonerREV2.jpg

TheFinn and ldhair like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted