Could this be 1959 D doubled die Lincoln cent ?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Coin Addict 2018, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Although it's a little dirty ... I found this nice 1959D with raised doubling ... IMG_20180714_021104.jpg IMG_20180714_021112.jpg IMG_20180714_021159.jpg IMG_20180714_021250.jpg

Coin-Dude likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

That looks oddly like Andromeda Strain on those date numerals.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    Kentucky and Coin Addict 2018 like this.
  4. Wheatmaster101

Wheatmaster101 U.S. Cent Collector

We need a picture of the whole coin, obverse and reverse. As of now, I am not see any signs of an actual doubled die anywhere.

5. Here's the full images of the obverse and reverse
    IMG_20180716_210531.jpg IMG_20180716_210706.jpg

6. V. Kurt Bellman

Yikes! More Andromeda Strain! You're still alive, so you must be either very low or high pH.

8. Hey ... I also couldn't help noticing that Lincolns hand and legs on the reverse looks as if it was struck so many times that he has TWO OR THREE HANDS ON ONE ARM and his legs even look slanted sideways ...

IMG_20180716_211833.jpg IMG_20180716_211403.jpg

Coin-Dude likes this.
  9. I'm sorry it looks as if he may have extra sets of legs and arms !

10. Yikes ... Yes there are two or more sets of Lincolns in the chair on the reverse along with the raised doubling on his lips on the obverse so what does that mean ?!?!?!

11. V. Kurt Bellman

I remember one Lincoln shown on CoinTalk on which it looked like Abe's legs were crossed in the Memorial.

12. Wheatmaster101

Wheatmaster101 U.S. Cent Collector

It just looks worn to me. Also, the die was deteriorated when it was struck.

13. And not much amazes me anymore when it comes to coins since I've seen alot of errors but this coin does have alot going on on the reverse and obverse .... but the locations that I've carefully pointed out clearly have nothing to do with being worn . LOL

14. VT4Pac

VT4Pac Active Member

I'm still learning a lot of this stuff but when I have a coin in question I usually check variety vista and Wexler's to compare pics and look for die markers. I didn't see anything on variety vista but Wexler's has one DDO that has doubling on the lips and chin - WDDO-007. Here is the link http://doubleddie.com/813497.html

You could check and see if there is a die gouge next to the "Y" in liberty and compare images. I also noticed in one of the DDR pics that Lincoln's legs appeared slanted, but this was just a pic to illustrate die scratches though. So its probably just the die and not much to it.

As I mentioned I'm no expert by any means but through this process I've already found multiple doubled dies that have been confirmed by others.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  15. Yep there sure is a die gouge there ... Thanks VT4Pac
    IMG_20180716_234013.jpg
    Screenshot_20180716-234326.png

16. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Hi wet blanket here.
    If it's not very pronounced, and you need an electron microscope to see doubling,
    and it's not a known, or famous or valuable DD, I don't really see what the hoopla is all about.
    Your coin is disintegrating from verdigris.

17. Well any doubled die coin I find is always great one to me Michael k . Infact it's not always about the money or fame to me ... and I do believe that i speak for alot of people when I say that some people probably just enjoy the hobby of error coin hunting . But on the other hand . If I did ever find a valuable coin I wouldn't be mad either . And so i guess to answer your question that is what all the hoopla is all about ....

18. Here's a better angel of that worn die Wheatmaster101 and why it looks like he has more then one arm . LOL
    IMG_20180717_002317.jpg

19. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

In most cases it's not a DD. But some other form of doubling.

20. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

@Coin Addict 2018 . These sites should be the first thing you check if you think you have something

FWIW: Most experienced collectors can spot mechanical doubling vs. true DD, but once you start getting to the micro DD many of us lose interest (me included). There's nothing wrong with searching/collecting this stuff, however, just be aware that you may not get a lot of useful feedback and will have to deal with the occasional snarky comment. I think there are only a couple of members that post on CT semi-regularly who appear to really knowledgeable on this topic, so you're basically going to have to pick up a lot of this on your own

21. Thanks for the helpful insight Oldhoop ... And I'll be sure to keep that in mind when sharing .

Draft saved Draft deleted