could someone please do a step by step instruction for this

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by harley bissell, Jul 27, 2017.

1. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

I am told that it is possible to search for images on Google. I thought that would be a dandy way to find mint state photos of older coins that I am trying to attribute and identify. I am not tech savvy and seek someone to explain the process of searching for an image on Gogle. Thank you so much for your assistance. Harley Bissell

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

You can indeed search by image on Google but I haven't found it very accurate for coins. Here's how to do it.

Go to Google, click on Images. Here's direct link:

https://www.google.com/imghp?hl=en

You'll see this (screen shot taken while I hovered over the camera icon, which is what you want to click next):

Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 10.48.26 AM.png

Click that camera icon; you'll see this:

Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 10.48.38 AM.png

Follow those instructions (either paste an image's URL or upload an image from your computer)

The problem with coins is that the hits returned will simply be pictures of round objects of a similar color, with similar backgrounds. It can locate other instances of the exact picture you're searching, if that is what you're seeking.

An alternative search-by-image website is TinEye, but I haven't found it to be any more sophisticated than Google Image searching.

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

When you search Google and get a list of URL results there will be a line at the top allowing you to select all, shopping, images, videos or more. Clicking on images will display a lot of images but my experience has been less impressive since they tend to display things that are close but not really what you asked for.

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Here's a test of the two. I selected a silver coin with a relatively sharp strike and good contrast (to theoretically make it easier for matching images to be found).

Here's the image tested:

[​IMG]
    Julia Domna denarius / Tellus reclining, with four children representing the Four Seasons

TinEye returned no matches! Bad.

Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 11.00.21 AM.png

Google Image Search recognized that the image was of a coin :rolleyes:. It also found two other instances of the exact picture (both posted by me on CoinTalk; I've posted the image more than twice plus it missed the image as it appears on my website). It suggested a bevy of similar images-- a gamut of silver coins on black background.

Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 10.59.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 10.59.23 AM.png

Verdict: not at all helpful for the purpose desired by the OP.

6. harley bissell

Thank you so much TIP. That is exactly what I had hoped to get. Comments on how well it works is another great help. Coins are not the only things that I'm interested in pursuing. Hand drawn maps and geographical features plus pictographs and markings on stones also interest me. In some cases I have a photo and no idea where it was taken so calling up the exact photo with geo tags or comments will be very helpful. The coins I prefer are almost always not completely there. Sometimes I've only got a quarter of a coin to deal with and the rest of it is worn smooth. I also have a blast trying to attribute counter stamps and chop marks. Best Regards, Harley Bissell

TIF likes this.
  7. harley bissell

TIF I will also check on Tin Eye site. thanks, Harley

Draft saved Draft deleted