Could someone in your family, take over the collection?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ldhair, Aug 25, 2019.

1. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Will they know what to do if they had to take over today?

Cheech9712 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Apart from 2 nephews and 1 neice I am the youngest. I'm gonna leave good documentation and hope they get good money for it or take an interest in it. Neither will be likely. Maybe I should take it with me?! lol

Jaelus, philologus_1 and PlanoSteve like this.
  4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I've left instructions with my family that if something ever happens to me, they should contact Mark Feld at Heritage.

HaleiwaHI likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Nope!

Chris

Kentucky likes this.
  6. Wagon

Wagon New Member

Interesting, it is a lot of work and time consuming and I don't believe anyone in my family would be interested in maintaining a coin collection. However, since I am retired and new to this and not really time invested and only moderately interested, I am considering cataloging my collection and having it valued by an estate agent. To all you coin gurus out there, do you think a complete collection of all denominations and countries would be more appealing to collectors or would each denomination catalogued and offered separately be more appealing. Most of my wheat and Memorial pennies are un-searched for errors or varieties, except for sorting by date. My plan was to sort by date and then search, so that is where I am at now. So to Idhair, should you become unable to continue your collection, and you have no heirs interested in taking over, an estate agent would value your collection and it would become part of your estate.

green18 and PlanoSteve like this.
  7. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

Not my family.

But they're not stupid.

When they evaluate my collection, I hope one (or more) of my heirs will develop an interest in the hobby.

8. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I have given my wife a POC to handle converting my collection to money.
    She has no interest in collecting.
    I get to spend money because she knows she can get most of it back.

TexAg, John Skelton and green18 like this.
  9. Wagon

Wagon New Member

That would be nice if an heir would develop an interest, no guarantee. No sure what you mean "Not my family. But they're not stupid."

10. Wagon

Wagon New Member

That's realistic Kanga! My husband has no interests in collecting coins either other than saving them to sell for their weight, particularly the silver coins. What type of POC did you give your wife?

11. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

I have some candidates (not my wife, unfortunately) but I'm not going to worry about it. It will work its way out. I have instructions for its dispersal.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  12. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Sure, my family would know what to do with my collection - they would keep it until my kids are old enough to “inherit” them.

13. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

"Not my family": No one in my family could take over my collection today and have a clue which coins are valuable.

"But they're not stupid": They're smart enough not to dump my collection in the nearest CoinStar. ;)
    [​IMG]

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Interesting you would say that Jason. That's exactly the instructions my lady has. She knows the trust I have in Mark. Same with my son if he has to deal with it. They both have a great understanding of the hobby.

CircCam likes this.
  15. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

It will all just go into the reject slot, then some CT member will retrieve it!!!! :hilarious:

Kentucky likes this.
  16. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

“The da*% box doesn’t accept this one... let me see what it says... F-U-G-I-O”...hmm... must be some worthless British coin!”

17. Wagon

Wagon New Member

IC, I believe my family would run to the nearest coin star for the immediate money gratification. lol

coinsareus10 likes this.
  18. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

MFD (My Favorite Dealer) - Nationally known
    He's fairly local AND I bought my whole FE/IHC collection from him.

19. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

You'll want to have a backup. Not saying he's old (too), but, he is oldish! lol

edit: retarded moment

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  20. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

He's been around a lot longer than I have, for sure! I re-assess and update instructions periodically as necessary.

I'll stick with Heritage, though.... they have the advantage in that they can also handle my extensive wine collection, and several art pieces.

Randy Abercrombie and CoinCorgi like this.
  21. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I've steered my offspring, to certain members on this forum, for advice and enlightenment.....I doubt they'll take it.......

Randy Abercrombie and CoinCorgi like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted